Chapter 23

Mom thought I was leaving for school but I headed to Mrs. Creek's, knowing that Jazz and Seth had already left. Mrs. Creek opened her front door before I had a chance to knock. "Oh, Bailey," she said as she pulled me into her arms. Then she led me to the couch and wrapped me in a blanket. "I'm so sorry."

"I tried to be her friend." Anger seeped up my spine. "How could she do this? To Dakota?"

Mrs. Creek rested her hand on mine. "Let's not jump to conclusions. There's so much we don't know."

"That's what's killing me," I said. "Not knowing."

"Have you tried to use your visions?"

I nodded. "Didn't work."

"Would you like to try again?"

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Nothing but darkness. Another breath. Nothing. I opened my eyes and blew out an exhale. "My visions are the reason for all of this. I wouldn't have met Emma if I didn't have that vision of her in City Market. And then I invited her over to meet Dakota." I held my head in my hands. "How could I have been so stupid?"

"When the Spirit decides people should meet, it will happen one way or another."

"What was the Spirit thinking?" The lump in my throat got bigger. "Mrs. Red Cloud is dead. Dakota might be dead, too. Nothing will ever be the same again. I'll never be the same."

Mrs. Creek stared into my eyes. "You will get through this. There is an ebb and a flow to everything. You'll see if you wait long enough."

"I don't have time to wait. I need to find Emma and my horse, and get rid of these visions."

"You have a lot on your shoulders," Mrs. Creek said. "But if the Creator gave you the gift, he also gave you what you need to use it."

I wasn't so sure about that. In fact, I seriously doubted it. "Everyone acts like I should be able to handle it. Like I'm being a coward or something if I don't. But they don't understand how it is to feel other people's pain."

"No, they don't."

"Everyone thinks I should go back into the Red Cloud house, but I can't."

"Can't?"

I paused mid-breath. Not Mrs. Creek, too. "I can't go back there." I pulled my hand away from hers and crossed my arms. "It's too hard. Too painful."

"The Creator will give you courage."

"The Creator?" I threw my hands up. "I'm not Ute."

She frowned and tilted her head. "Do you think there is a Native god and a separate white god?"

I shrugged, because 'yes' obviously wasn't the right answer.

She pressed her hand to her chest. "I believe there is one God. Different names."