Chapter 12

Ali walked with the doctor to the ICU ward.
"What happened doctor, is everything OK?"
"No, nothing is OK, the situation is more than OK and that's the problem."
Ali gave him a puzzled look. The doctor pushed the door open and Ali gasped.
"How...even-?"
"Hello, Ali." Old Ali was sitting there happily and enjoying a packet of chips. He looked like he had just woken up from sleep and nothing had happened at all.
"Your father has made a supersonic recovery which is quite impossible for people of his age. I have never seen or even heard of such a speedy recovery of someone who has tasted the life of ICU. Looks like God is on your side. Lucky fellas."
Ali guessed that this was something more than god's work alone. Old Ali sure had some tricks up his sleeve. Old Ali winked at Ali when no was looking. Ali let out a sigh. He was tremendously relieved that his older counterpart had survived ignoring the questions bursting in his mind.
"So now what, doctor? How long does father need to stay here?" Ali asked emphasizing the word father to make Old Ali aware of the show Ali was putting across. Old Ali gave him a smirk and continued munching his crispers.
"He just needs one day's rest and then you two can be on your way." The doctor replied.
" Thank you, doctor. "
"By the way, please submit the fees at the reception."
"Sure, doctor." Ali said taking Old Ali's wallet out of his pocket and waving it so that the frail man knows of Ali's trick and  doesn't start complaining for a lost wallet and make matters complicated which would make Ali's made up story look false. Old Ali reflected an astonished expression at Ali.
Ali went to the counter to make the necessary payment with his OWN money. When he was done, he glanced at the bench where he had left Asbah sitting. She was no longer there and there was a note placed neatly on the bench. Ali went there , picked it up and started reading it.

Dear Ali
I am sorry that I left you in such a  disturbed state. But an emergency had occured at my home back here in Delhi. My small brother fell off a rollercoaster due to insufficient safety precautions. He himself has made the sufferable journey to the ICU. I have to go tend to him immediately. I have written my number below. Contact me after 2-3 days. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

PS-:  You are really cute.

Ali clutched the cold piece of paper in his hand. He read it again and then reread it. He felt disdained because of Asbah leaving him so spontaneously. But he felt good that she had left a note and also called him cute. He turned red and read the note again. He saw the reason of the accident of her brother and raised his eyebrow.
"Strange. As far as I know, there is no roller coaster in Delhi. Why would she lie to me?" He thought.
Ali's pessimistic mind started thinking of all the horrible reasons.
"Did she want to get rid of me? Is she hiding something from me? Did I do something wrong?" Ali left no stone unturned and placed his head in his hands and let the accumulation of all the events and calamities that had occured to me during the past one year in his eyes and cried his heart out, weeping and sobbing like a 2 year old