Desperation Won't Create Forgiveness

"You're truly one of a kind Momiji Sohma."
"I could say the same about you Hinata Honda."
-Momiji and Hinata

Momiji stared at the large gates that stood in front of him. A sense of foreboding twisted his stomach into knots as he broke out into a cold sweat.

"No one can love you but me. So stay with me forever, my rabbit."

Involuntary, he found himself stumbling back.

Momiji stopped himself and took a deep breath. He could do this. He wasn't the same boy as back then. No, that boy was weak, ignorant, and fake.

He had changed, there was no reason to fear this place anymore.

Gently, his pale hand touched the gate and he pushed, flinching at the creaking sound it made.

Just like that, it felt as if he was thrown back in time.

The traditional house was softly lit up by the glimmering sunshine that danced in the murky windows that had hidden horrors over the years as time ticked by slowly, oh so slowly.

To the side of the house was the connecting clinic with the little pond on the side filled with little koi and surrounded by sweet smelling flowers.

The entire backyard was wide and perfect for running, it should have been littered with toys or discarded items, instead it was bare and perfectly trimmed.

Memories flashed across his mind at every single thing he saw.

Momiji sat in on the steps of the home, covered in bruises, his young face was drawn and tired.

Hatsuharu limped out in a similar position. "Are you okay?" He asked the boy calmly.

"I'm tired Haru, I'm really tired." Hatsuharu only sat down next to him, their faces glowing in the moonlight as he smiled.

"Yeah, me too."

Tears blinked to the surface of his eyes but he swallowed them back.

"Yuki wait for me!" Momiji called, a skinny 5 year old as he chased after the older boy.

"No, you stay here Momiji, I need to go somewhere." He said coldly, unintentionally hurting the blonde boy.

"Oh..." Momiji murmured, stopping in his tracks as his older cousin stormed off.

He glanced back at the empty yard, now with flecks of tears barely caressing a piece of grass before being soaked into the soil.

Nothing much had changed, Momiji noted dully.

"Hinata! Hinata!" Momiji called as he balanced on a rock at the pond.

A brunette looked out and laughed, making him beam in pride.

"You're going to fall." She called from the clinic.

"No I-" he squawked as he tripped and fell in the pond, a koi flopping on his lap. "-won't."

Hinata erupted into little snickers and he vaguely heard Hatori tell her to, "get that idiot a towel."

A few moments later Hinata came out, still laughing as he grimaced and climbed out of the pond.

She reached out her hand with a smile and he took it, vaguely he registered that he was almost a head taller than her now.

"So," Momiji began with a cheeky smile, "come here often?" With that they both dissolved into snickers and giggles as she threw a towel at his face and Hatori watched them, an exasperated soft smile on his usually stoic face.