5.

I found myself wandering through the institute's hall aimlessly. He might of been absolutely infuriating, but Jace had always been the constant in my life. Since day one he'd always been there, sometimes i wished he wasn't but that was beside the point.

The seemingly heartless boy who had reached out to me because he understood what it felt like to be alone. Without him i couldn't imagine how my life would have turned out. Then it a matter of hours he had been ripped away from me. There was a chance he'd never be in my life the same way again. That single thought was enough to crush my heart entirely.

I ended up infront of Alec's door noticing the door was jared open. Without thinking i wandered inside, i didn't think i could handle this alone. Besides Alec had a right to know what was happening, Jace was just as much a part of his life as he was of mine.

His head flew up as the door creaked open, eyes widening as he they took me in. Within seconds he was across the room holding onto me painfully tight. He'd always been good with understanding other people's feelings, thankfully as it was a gift the rest of his greatly struggled with.

In that moment standing there with Alec's arms around me i couldn't hold it anymore. I let the facade fall away, the tears soon followed. I was letting out everything i'd tried to desperately hold in these past few weeks.

I thought if i just kept myself at a distance i could push it all away to the back of my mind. It had worked until today, ignoring Jace was one thing but losing him all together that was something i wasn't quite sure how to deal with.

Alec loosened his grip slightly allowing me to pull back just enough to stare up at him. One of his hands stroked at my hair gently almost instinctively. "It's Jace."

"I figured as much," He sighed, hand falling away as the pain flared up in his eyes.

"There going to put him on trial." I choked out, barely able to hold in the sobs. "Alec i don't know if he's ever coming back after this."

Alec's eyes cast downwards to the floor. The sight brought an ache to my chest, seeing Alec in pain was not a pleasant sight. "This is really happening?" He asked skeptically. "Your sure i'm not in some crazy nightmare?"

I gave him a sad smile. "I'm afraid so," I keep my eyes locked with his memorising the look of the pain to keep as a constant reminder to fuel my hatred towards the world.

Our eyes finally broke apart as the door swung open to reveal a frazzled looking Isabelle. "Jace?" She asked hesitantly when she took in the state i was in.

Alec nodded in response as if to tell her not to ask anymore. Normally i'd been offended by the action, despising the thought of being treated as fragile. Though as Isabelle flew across the room to pull my into her arms i only felt a sense of gratitude towards the both of them. It didn't matter if Jace had been the one to make the lightwoods like me, they were just as important as he was.

Izzy finally and rather reluctantly pulled away from me. "What happened?" She asks gently, she knows she shouldn't ask but she has a right to know.

"The inquisitor's coming," I said softy, taking deep breaths to calm myself down. "There putting him on trial. They think he's a spy for Valentine."

Anger clouded over her face. "Your going to the trial right?" She asked.

"Yes?" I replied questioningly confused as to why she was so interested in my answer.

"You to find him that night," She explained. "You can help convince them that he's innocent, right?" Her words came out as more of a plead towards the end.