Chapter 5

Am I dead?

Why am I so cold?

What happened?

I opened my groggy eyes to reveal what looked like an infirmary. The doctor that stood at the foot of my bed with a clipboard stared at me in wonder.

"Hello?" I started. "May I ask, where am I?" Apparently I may not ask, as the doctor threw the clipboard in shock and ran out the door. There was no door. He ran through the wall as if there was one, however.

"Sorry...." I said seemingly to myself as there was no one else in the room for whom I could be talking to.

   I flipped my legs over the side of the bed and winced in pain at my wound. Hopefully I hadn't ripped the stitches out. But there were no stitches. In fact, there was no wound. There was no blood, no scar; it's like it never even happened.

   "Are you Alice?" A strange but weirdly familiar voice asked.

   "Who are you?" I replied.

   "That you do not need to know quite yet. See, if you are Alice, then I have to test to see if you to see if you are the Alice." He started to explain. "If you are the Alice then I need to make sure you know what you're capable of. If you aren't the real Alice, then we need to get you back home. Do you understand what I'm saying?" The voice was soft and comforting surprisingly.

"I think so... Now who are you?

"As I previously said.... Alice...... You don't need to know that just yet..." He gave me the same answer as last time.

"Well then tell me what is so special about being Alice?" I asked.

"The Alice ......is supposedly supposed to.... kill the queen's children." The voice said in a stone cold tone. "That is why.... we must.... find her......" The voice was soft and comforting again as I noticed the the lights dim the slightest bit, and the door opened, leaving me to see nothing but a shadow on the cherry red tile flooring. The figure was small... almost like an animal.

   "Ch- Cheshire?" I questioned surprisingly. "Cheshire is that you?" Sitting on the edge of the black quilted bed, the hand gripped the red bed side table and attempting turning on the lamp, but all that accomplished was give off a dim red glow, making the room seem darker rather than brighter. The shadow on the floor disappeared, leaving me again in silence.

   Then he appeared at the foot of the bed. "Of course.... my dear.... who else.... would I be...?" He said. His smile stretched from one side of his cat face to another; white teeth looking almost human-like a companying it.

   I laughed a little bit.
"Cheshire what are you doing here?" I paused a moment. "Did you save me?"
"Somewhat.... my dear...." and with that he gave me a wink from his enormous blue-green eyes before disappearing into thin air again.

   "Cheshire wait!" I called. "I wish you'd stop doing that.... or at least tell me how you do that with ease... I always had to use a spell that had quite the delay." With that Cheshire immediately re-appeared; a terrified look on his face. "What's the matter Cheshire?"

   "You.... dear girl.... you..... use magic....?" He was turning in the air now, frowning whilst his body remained upside down, making it look like a smile.

   "Well... yes of course," I started to explain that I used to dream of Wonderland as a child, and have since the day my mother died. I explained how the dream started off the same way, I would be in a room with doors and I'd have to find the key. Except in my dreams I didn't feel the pain of wounds, such as the one I obtained earlier, and I owned property, items, spells and weapons; Every time I came here I only had to go find my home and items. Wonderland is the place I wish was my reality, but sadly the real world is. Everyone dreads the real world. It's extremely too serious for everyone here to handle. Cheshire's eyes seemed to be gleaming now, my stories seemed to entertain him. I told him how my sister and I used to come here together, but eventually her pure and playful heart was tainted by man, leaving her unable to enter Wonderland; she didn't believe in it anymore. But I do, I never forget the times we spent together here, one day I hope to bring her home...  it could be just like when we were younger.

   "Well... dear girl... that is rather.................. fascinating." He turned himself right ways up and smiled an exceptionally huge smile. "As you already know of magic... I suppose.... you can have this back..." He handed me my crystal. By wearing the necklace that holds my crystal, I am allowed to use magic here in Wonderland for many things. Mostly for attacking, but I've never  needed to attack anyone, Wanderers (people who reside in Wonderland) are very sweet for the most part. Though I haven't been here in years, I'm not sure what has changed.

   "The queen..... will be...... more than pleased to meet your....... acquaintance." Then he disappeared.

   "You never answered my question..." I mumbled to myself.

   "Dear girl..." the voice answered. "I am able to do the impossible... who do you think..... creates magic..... in this world...?" His voice drifted off as if a cloud had come and pulled it slowly out of range for my ear to hear.

Cheshire created magic? I suppose he is more powerful than I imagined.

   The door closed then immediately was forcefully opened by more cards. I heard cheshire hiss, I guess they ran into him on their way in. They're lances were pointed at me once more, the red hearts on their card-figure almost glowing. They're footprints clacked against the tile in sync, each of the cards grabbed each of my arms and dragged me out of the room, one of them jabbed a needle into my side, grazing in between my ribs. My leather shoes squeaked as they rubbed against the tile, I couldn't stand up.

   "Are we taking her to the....." I heard one of the cards say. Then I drifted away in a painful and silent sleep.

------------------
A/N: This story is dedicated to my Mad Hatter, AlexAspenleiter who has always helped me out and inspired me to write this story; which I'm actually enjoying a whole lot more than I thought I would, thanks m8 :)