Chapter 7

When I awoke for the second time, I got a sense of deja vú, as the woman with the big head and oddly colored hair was towering over my body once more.

"Oh dear...." She started. "My sincerest apologies, that guard was deficient, he doesn't work properly." Her face showed actual remorse, and I didn't want to be rude to her or hold a grudge, so I smiled. Her worried eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "Why are smiling dear girl? Aren't you hurt?" I held my smile.

"Yes," I said. "It hurts, but it's alright. I'll live through it, everyone makes mistakes." Still holding my smile, I picked my head up in attempt to look at my wounds. I quite honestly couldn't see them over my chest, as my neck was sore and I couldn't lift it all the way up.

   "Oh my. I'm so sorry, I forgot the bounds..." She gave out a nervous chuckle. "There." She said as the leather that left marks on my wrists and ankles dropped to the side of the table.

   "Thank you." Sure I am a bit.... hurt, pissed, and other similar feelings, but like I said I'm not here to make enemies, I'm here to figure out what I'm here for. Oh the irony.

  I sat up slowly, grunting at the pain of the wounds. They had stitches on them now, which I was being very careful not to rip out. The woman seemed rather sweet, helping me sit up and giving genuine and apologetic smiles. I almost felt guilty for being mad in the first place.

"So... if you don't mind me asking madam, what is your name? And why are you looking for the White Queen?" I started to ask. I have no idea where I am or who these people are, it's not nosy, I have a right to know since, ya know, they impaled me and everything.

"I've forgotten we're not properly introduced." She extended her hand, placing the rose she had on the counter to the side. "I am the Red Queen." I shook her hand. "Alice." I responded with. "Oh I know, you're quite the talk around here. Well, to those that know of you're presence that is." Sitting in the chair next to the table, she placed her hands on her lap. "Now, you had asked about the White Queen?" I nodded. "Alright, well, the White Queen is my little sister. We used to be very close as children, but over time we went our separate ways. We had our own methods of doing things. The reason the guard wanted to know where she was is because I am looking for her. I asked the guard to interrogate you, not torture you I promise." She smiled shyly and giggle slightly. "It's alright." I said again. "If you don't my asking of this either, why are you looking for the Red Queen?" I tilted my head in question, trying to sit up straight and be proper; not like anyone could really be proper in this clothing.
"My sister is... a very challenging person. I don't mean to be rude and talk about her poorly, but she is a bit manipulative. She can be very kind, but she has taken something of mine that I must have back, as it wasn't hers to take."

Now we're getting somewhere. I thought to myself.

   "What did she take?" I asked rather eagerly. She lowered her head slightly, closed her eyes, and quietly laughed. "Well someone is quite the questioner I see." She looked at me. "I'm surprised you don't know this already, I see you have experience un Wonderland from your magic stone." Without thinking, my hand reached up and I grabbed my necklace, feeling it against my collarbone.

"Yes well... I came here s a child as well,
In my dreams, that is." She stared at my stone. "It's beautiful." I lowered my head looking as it and let out a small scoff. "Now then, where were we? Ah yes, what did my little sister take from me. Well , I have a pet you see, it's a Jabberwocky. A while ago, my baby saved me from an enemy... but the poor thing lost it's eye in the process." She paused. "I can fix it with magic, but I need the eye in order to do so and that, my dear Alice, is what my sister took from me." I could see in her oversized eyes that she was quite fond of her pet, and she really was upset about the loss of it's eye.

   "That's horrible." I blurted out. "You're poor Jabberwocky... What does the White Queen want with his eye?"

   "I'm not sure." She said. "All I know is she took it and I need it back for the sake of my baby's eyesight and coordination. He can't protect me if I'm constantly protecting him."

"This is true." I added. "Well... I could help you get it back if you wanted." I honestly had to see the White Queen anyways, so I thought I'd help out while I was there, or at least extend the offer.

"No, it's alright." She smiled again. "I appreciate your offer I really do, but if the White Queen sees that you're helping me, she will most definitely not accept you. By helping me, you 'defy' her, in a way." She rolled her eyes and laughed, so I laughed along. "Besides, you're in no position to be going anywhere at the moment."

"I don't care what she thinks of me, if she wants to judge me for a good deed then let her." I said with a determined tone. "But as soon as I am well enough to walk I will help you get your eye back." I paused again and made a confused look. "Well, not your eye, but your eye, if that makes any sense...." I laughed at my awkwardness and so did she.

"Don't laugh too hard," She warned. "You will rip out your stitches." Showing me a warm smile, she stood up and walked toward the counter against the wall. The Red Queen grabbed a small bottle of pills and tossed them to me. "This is for the pain, love." And with that she walked out the room, picking up the red rose and placing it in a vase on her way out. She locked the infirmary door behind her.

The two seem so alike, can they really be so different? I didn't remember the White Queen being so.... Unkind.