4. How Bad Do You Want It?

"Peppermint latte, please. And a muffin, thanks." I say to the waiter that takes my order as I stare at my watch one more time.
It's already 15 minutes past noon and I scan around the outside of the small cafe until I spot Maya exiting a taxi and making her way towards me.
For some reason, I just enjoy a table out on the premises. The giggling children, the nice Orlando air, and the open space.

"Marcy! I haven't seen you for so long, it's a crime." Maya exclaims when she gets to the table and I get up to hug her, giggling.

"It's only been a week Maya." I say and she just rolls her eyes as she sits down.

"You try having a baby and tell me if a week doesn't seem like a year." She says, reminding me again of how her life's going beautifully well. Maya was in college a year ahead of me since I had to stay behind after high school. So, two years into college and I'd dropped out while she got married.
Now she is one year away from being done with school and has the most beautiful baby girl I've ever seen, making me the luckiest God-mother of the sweetest child on earth.

"Speaking of which, how is Haley?" I ask as the waiter brings my order.

"Plum as a pumpkin and loud as a siren. But she is great and I'm pretty sure she is missing her godmother." Maya says before placing her order and I drop my gaze to my drink.

"Some godmother I am. I'm a terrible role model, not to mention--"

"Stop it. Okay? I haven't seen you in a week and I'm not going to let you beat down yourself at the first opportunity we get." Maya scolds and I just sigh before I sip my lattè.

"You're right. Sorry. I miss her too." I say and attempt a smile even though I can tell Maya can see through my transparent expression.

"Hmm." She says observing me as she scrunches her lips to a corner.

"What is it? What's been going on, I want to hear it all." She says as a waiter brings her order and I just plant my gaze on my muffin.

"Well, for starters, I should have quit stripping the first opportunity I got. Hell, I should have quit the minute you told me to be Haley's godmother. I don't know what I was thinking."

"You were thinking of your dad and Tyler, and you shouldn't blame yourself for being responsible. And I never reconsidered once about making you Haley's godmother, stripper or not."

"I did. And maybe Haley will too. She'll grow up and learn her god-mother was once a stripper and she'll treat me--"

"Like an angel. She'll treat you like the strong, independent lady you are. You took a decision for the benefit of your family even though it put you in a bad position. So stop talking like this and tell me what's making you look down on yourself so badly. I know you were never fond of this, but I've never seen you judge yourself for it. What happened?"
Maya asks with so much care, I don't even realize I've started crying till a teardrop lands on the table.

"I quit stripping last night." I say and I'm glad Maya doesn't reply so I can get the words out.

"I wasn't going to, I didn't even see it coming. I just...I went to see dad yesterday and he called me Mia again, then we were short on money and the rent, and I had so much to sort out. I made a mistake while performing and nearly lost my job."
Then I look up at Maya and continue,

"Then this guy from nowhere calls me to his private part of the club and he told me I was of no importance, then he uses the risk of me losing my job to his advantage and he makes me beg and he---" my voice cracks and I cry into my palms.
Maya stuffs a tissue in my hand and I clean my eyes with it.