Chapter 2

{Zane}
"Zane, could you hand me that wrench?" Zane complied, handing his creator the tool. He watched the other tighten a bolt before setting the tool down. "I think it's about time to take a break. Come and sit."

Zane took a seat next to Dr. Julien. "Father..." the nindroid asked tentatively, "why did you ask for my help and not Jay? He is much better with machines."

"It was a good way to spend some time with you. You've been so distant lately, what's bothering you?"

"It is... complicated. And silly." He had no idea how to begin to explain what he thought. It hurt being isolated, but there was no attainable way to avoid that feeling.

"It's alright Zane, I promise I will do my best not to laugh."

"It's just... I wish I were a human, like the others." Dr. Julien chuckled and Zane looked at him, hurt by the laughter that soon vanished, though the smile did not.

"You said you would not laugh."

"I'm sorry, but it's sort of funny. Not the ha-ha funny, but more of an odd coincidence." Zane frowned, unable to see why it would be considered an odd coincidence. "A human you was what I really wanted to talk about, since it's about time you knew the truth."

"The truth? About what?"

"You, the real you, is a human. Who you are now is just a vessel. You being my son is the true, but it isn't the whole truth. Your mother was a good woman, but her sister was not. We kept you and your sister safe for a time, but you fell ill and there was nothing we could do to help you. In order to save your life we built this robot body to house your consiousnes while we searched for a cure."

"How... how do I not remember such a thing?" Zane was in shock. It was as if his wish had come true. Not only did he have a human body, but he had a mother and sister too. "And why are you only telling me this now?"

"Ah, yes. You see, we were able to find a process in returning your soul to your body to return the memories you have now, but we couldn't get your previous memories to transfer into this android body." Dr. Julien paused, and put a hand on Zane's shoulder. "I would have told you sooner, but I couldn't bear telling you everything and keeping you bound by searching for a cure. By not telling you I kept your past, but your future was free for you to live, especially if we never found a cure."

"I see..." The truth hit him as hard and sudden as a train. A smile spread across Zane's face. "You found a cure, that is why you are telling me this!"

Dr. Julien held a long vial of icy blue liquid up for Zane to see. "It's right here, and you can take it to the mountain yourself."

Zane gently took the vial and cradled it in his hands. This was his chance to be like the others, a human with family to write to and tell stories about. He'd get older, and not have to face the future alone. "Will you not be comming as well?"

"Not right away. I'll let you get a head start before following you with the others- to give you some time to get used to being human again."

"Thank you father!"
------------------------------

That night Zane was ready. He had a map and the vial now wrapped in cloth stored safely in his chest panel. The plan was that after dinner he would leave on the Mega Dragon.

It was his turn to cook that night, so he made sure to make extra to last a few days, saving the team from Cole's cooking for at least a little while.
---------------------
-Cole's POV-
All through dinner Cole had his eyes glued on Zane across the table. Hours earlier the nindroid seemed so broken, but now he was acting perfectly fine. Despite how odd it was, Cole couldn't help but appreciate the other's smile, and attempts at humor. The food was appreciated too, the nindroid was a fantastic cook and the earth ninja made sure to compliment it extensively . Still, it was odd that there was so much food. Nobody really ever made enough for leftovers, but there were enough leftovers to last several days. He wasn't the only one to notice either.

"That's a lot of leftovers to box, buddy. What's the occasion?" Jay leaned back, obviously stuffed. Zane responded with a shrug.

"It is simply to allow an alternative meal, should someone's cooking end in disaster." The nindroid inclined his head towards Cole, "No offense intended."

"None taken, frosty." He smiled and winked, only to get an elbow in the side from Jay as Kai leaned across the table.

"Mind laying off at dinner?" The fire ninja whispered. "You bad flirting is physically painful to watch."

"Haha, yeah. It's even worse than mine." Jay added, trying to hide his laughter.

"C'mon guys. He's a robot." Cole glanced up to make sure Zane was busy before continuing in a low voice. "I'm afraid if I'm not obvious it'll go right over his head."

The others caved to his point. Which was good, since Cole had no idea how to do a better job flirting with a guy he wasn't even sure could like him back. He had sunk into thought about if Zane could actually feel love when the other ninja's voice stopped him.

"If you need me I will be in my room." The nindroid stated plainly before exiting the dining room. Cole frowned, but shrugged. That night seemed to be a sign of things looking up, so for now he'd let his friend rest and perhaps try talking to the ice ninja in the morning. In the meantime, however, he turned his attention back onto the conversations at the table.
--------------------------------
-Zane's POV-

Zane was almost giddy as he slipped out of the dining room. He was ready to leave on his great adventure, and, to make matters better, Cole had winked at him. Sure it was probably nothing, someone like Cole would never find interest in a robot, but it still made Zane feel like he was floating.

After checking one last time in his chest panel that the bundled vial and map were both still present, he pulled a dark cloak around himself and made his way silently to the Mega Dragon.

"Hello friends," he whispered to the four heards, "it is time to go on a little trip." Shard and Rocky seemed pleased, but the other two heads remained fairly uninterested. Zane climbed up to their back and took the reigns. "It is time to go." He gave the dragon a nudge and they were off, soaring through the sky.

The water below reflected the briliant sky above. Never before had he apreciated the stars as he did in this moment, wishing only that Cole could see it with him. Cole... a sudden guilt swept over him. He had lied to him, to all of them. They would figure out soon enough that Zane was gone without explination, and follow him. He shook those thoughts from his head. Everything he was doing was worth the lie. Soon he would be no different than the others he called his family, and he would have a real family to care for him.

The ice ninja carefully removed the map from his chest panel, wondering vaguely what he'd do without it. Perhaps he would find a nice bag to carry with him... Analyzing the map he saw two different routes to get to the mountain, one shorter than the other. Now it made sense. Should they notice him missing soon, the others could catch up to him taking his current route. But the other route was longer, spaning four days as opposed to the one it would take the Dragon. He looked into the distance, spotting the mountains' sillouettes in the distance, and once more excitement filled him for what the future held.