Chapter 3

-Cole's POV-

The earth ninja groaned as he pushed himself out of bed. He shuffled to his closet and pulled on some casual clothes, not needing to dress like a ninja today. As he ran a comb through his hair he planned out what he would do with his day. Breakfast came first, of course, and after that he's straighten up his room a bit. After having seen Zane's pristine room, he knew he'd have to step up his game and clean his own room at least a little if he wanted any chance with the nindroid. After that he'd go see how Zane was doing. Cole smiled and made his way out of his room, ready to start his day.
----—-•–-----------
-Zane's POV-
It had been about 1:00 am when he and the Mega Dragon finally reached land. It was once sand gave way to vast fields he stopped to rest, curling up beside the dragon until the sun rose.

He woke to Shard's head resting on his shoulder.

"Good morning my friends. It is time for us to continue." Zane climbed onto the dragon once more and they took off, soaring over the fields towards the mountains.
---------------------
•Cole's POV•

Cole took a deep breath before knocking on Zane's door. He'd gone over what to say in his head dozens of times throughout the day, so hopefully the conversation will go as well as he imagined it would while cleaning his room. Except... there was no answer from inside the room. No 'Give me a minute' or other sounds from inside to signal movement. He knocked again.

"Zane?" Still no answer. He tried the handle and found it was unlocked. Pushing the door open he was met with an empty room.
----------
"Hey guys- have you seen Zane today? He's not in his room." The others looked up at Cole from what they were each doing.

"Nope. But the dragon's been gone since last night, so maybe he took it." Jay shrugged.

"That still doesn't explain why. He's been so out of it, was fine last night, and then up and leaves?"

"There's nothing to worry about. I sent Zane on a few errands- he should be back in a few days." Dr. Julien waved a hand dismissively. Cole was still suspicious. It just didn't seem to add up.

"I wish we could see where the dragon was- then we could get a sense of what's really going on." Cole nodded in response to Kai's statement, crossing his arms.

"I guess it's a good thing we put a tracker on the dragon, right Nya?" Jay winked at his girlfriend. Her face lit up with a smile.

"Oh yeah! We'll be able to see exactly where he's going." She jumped up and started towards the bridge, the other three ninja close behind her, leaving Dr. Julien to trail along behind the group.
-----------------------------
•Zane's POV•

He had finally reached the mountain range, and wasn't quite sure how to feel. Just on the other side would be the desert where his destination was, but though the sun had risen long ago something about the mountains sucked all the light and turned it to darkness. It was enough to make him and the dragon uneasy. Zane leaned over the creature's back, giving reassurance to it and himself.

"We must go over. Detouring to the pass will take several days-this is much faster. We will be safe if we stay high and don't land." He hoped his words were true. Still, it prompted the dragon to go up and keep flying.

Over the mountain it felt as though the wind and shadows were trying to drag him down. Zane kept one hand on the dragon's reins and the other against his chest. The last thing he needed was his chest hatch to be potentially opened. The cloak around was ripped from his shoulders and floated down to the trees. The ice ninja peeked over, and could swear he could make out sets of red and green eyes below. Shard's whine brought him back to the matter at hand. They were close to being done with this part of the journey and he couldn't loose focus now.
--------------
•?'s POV•
A hand reached out of the shadows to grab the cloak out of the air. The figure inspected the dragon flying overhead before turning their attention back to the cloak.

"So you've returned," they whispered, "It seems our time has come. With one ninja crippled it will be the perfect time to take back what was stolen from us."

The shadows swirled restlessly around the figure, prepared, thirsty for blood. They would soon return the world to the darkness it should have stayed from the beginning.
---------------------------
•Zane's POV•
A few minutes later he was finally clear of the mountains, and he and the mega dragon were soaring over a sandy desert. In the distance he could see the lone mountain, and a fresh spark of electricity courses through him.

"We are here, friends!" He cheered, leaning over to give the dragon a pat. "We are finally here."
--------------------
(A/N) Sorry this chapter is short and a bit lower quality... The next chapters will take longer around school, but quality should improve!