Chapter 4

•Zane's POV•

The dragon landed near a cave in the bottom of the mountain. It was the only visible entrance to the mountain, so it made sense. Zane dismounted and started forewords into the dimness.

Inside was cool but dry. The ground was packed hard and had stairs built up the side leading to a stone platform and door. He smiled. This was his home, and he'd soon have the fond memories of this place returned.

"Zane? Is it really you?" He looked to see the source of the voice standing near the door. The ice nindroid hadn't heard her enter. She was tall and lean, and if felt like looking in a mirror. White hair pulled back in a ponytail, ice blue eyes, fair skin.

"It is." He responded. Tears filled her eyes as she pulled him in for a hug. Zane allowed the embrace for a short while before pushing her gently away. He opened his chest panel briefly and removed the bundled vial. "I believe I should give this to you."

She seemed to understand what it was, gingerly taking it from him and cradling it in her arms as if it were a baby.

"Follow me," she began moving to the door, "We should get this done as soon as we can." Zane nodded and followed her, disappearing deeper into the mountain.
------------------------------
•Cole's POV•
Cole lounged on the deck, the motivation having left him. There wasn't much to do floating miles in the air, and after three days training was starting to get old. He eventually left his spot to paint in his room. He wasn't too skilled yet, but he was getting better. The first paintings he did were little more than ill-formed flowers in grayish blobs, but now he was on to painting other objects. These days flowers and other stationary objects were easy. Cole had moved on to people, and it really wasn't going too well.

"I can't even do something nice for Zane." Cole lamented to himself, gazing at the failed portrait in front of him. If one squinted and turned their head they could vaguely see it was supposed to be Zane.

Suddenly the Bounty shook. He jumped up and ran out to the deck. "What's going on?"

"Nothing. We're passing through the mountain valley, and something's interfering with the equipment." Nya waved a hand dismissively. Cole relaxed again and went to look over the rail at the beautiful mountains.

Oddly enough, it looked as if tendrils of black smoke were reaching towards the ship. He reached out towards the strands and one wrapped around his hand, loose at first before tightening and disappearing.

"Agh!" It was like an electric shock! Cole shook his hand and stepped back from the rail. He was done here.

Cole made his way back to his room. He had to keep painting if he ever wanted to impress the endlessly talented Zane. But with this next attempt at art, his heart just wasn't in it. Of course, that didn't stop him from surprising himself.

This painting was perfect. Everything was where it should be and with the colors it almost looked alive. Cole was shocked. After his last attempt there was no way he could have advanced this far.

"Of course there is a way. Before I had yet to find you." A melodic voice resonated within his mind.

"W-who are you?" He looked around, searching for a source for the sweet voice in his ear. "Where are you?"

"I am a muse who resides in the mountain. You reached out to me, and we bonded. I am in your mind, so you needn't speak out loud to communicate with me"

Alright, Cole thought. He could use a muse. And the voice was relaxing to listen to. What was the harm? His friends didn't need to know about the extra help, and if it could give him a leg up with Zane he'd take it. What else can you help me with besides painting?

"Oh, I have numerous skills. Cooking, art, music and many more." Man, he was sure glad he had found this muse and not anyone else. Cole grinned as he inspected the portrait again. He had a feeling everything would work out.
---------------------------------
•Jay's POV•

Why did things always have to be so weird with someone on the team. First it was Zane being a shut-in before disappearing, and now it was Cole. Jay watched from across the deck at where the earth ninja sat, eyes glazed over. He hadn't been training much lately to boot. Maybe he was getting sick? Jay sauntered over to his friend stood over him.

"Hey buddy, you doing alright?"

Cole jerked suddenly in surprise before cutting into Jay with a glare.

"What do you want?" Cole stood and Jay took a step back.

"Woah, dude, chill. You looked out of it so I was just seeing how you're doing."

"I'm fine so just back off." Cole turned and stalked off.

"What's gotten into you? Hey, where're you going?" Jay started following the other ninja, keeping his distance just in case.

"You're not worth my time."

Jay froze. What had happened to his best friend? Maybe it was because of all the teasing over Zane, but still. His friend should have just talked to him rather than look ready to fight.

"Listen, if you're mad about what I said about you and Zane, I'm sorry. I was trying to be funny but I guess it came across as mean. But please, just tell me how I can make it up to you."
----------------------------------
•Cole's POV•

Jay's words cut through the haze that had filled Cole's head. He blinked before realizing fully what had happened. He considered turning around but the voice stopped him.

"It's too late now, the damage is done." It whispered sweetly. "There's no going back now. Explain later, if he is your friend he will understand. But we have other matters to attend to."

Cole's body started moving almost against his will, going back down to his room. That night he'd make amends, he was sure of it.
-----------------------------
•Jay's POV•

Throughout dinner Jay kept an eye on Cole. The earth ninja looked uncomfortable, but made no move to speak to him. It kind of hurt, being snapped at like that when he was trying to see if the other was ok, and then being completely ignored.

Eventually Jay excused himself to go outside. He needed some fresh air. What he didn't expect was for Cole to follow him out and lean against the rail next to him.

"Look," Cole shifted nervously, "I'm sorry for how I acted earlier. I've been really wound tight these past few days, but that's no excuse for what I said."

"It's ok, man." Jay smiled at his friend. "I get it, you're worried about Zane. We all are. But I'm pretty sure that you were closer to him than the rest of us, so if anyone were to snap, you'd be the most likely candidate."

Jay smiled and Cole returned the gesture. "We should probably head back in." Jay nodded in agreement and followed his friend back inside.