Chapter 7

•Zane's POV•

"Cole are you..." I stopped, frozen, as I looked at Cole. He stared back, fury in his eyes. One was blood red while the other was a darker shade. What looked like black tar oozed from his nose and mouth.

"Your friend is mine, sweet nephew." That wasn't Cole's voice. That was... that was her voice, overlaid on his to the point of almost drowning his out completely. I tried to steady myself.

"Let him go." I hoped she could not hear my fear. There was no answer aside from a watery growl. Cole shifted. I could see what was about to happen, and ran.

I heard a crash as Cole slammed into the wall. The cup fell from my hand, shattering on the wood floor, water spilling everywhere. I didn't stop, but I couldn't keep it up. I got to the kitchen area, my chest heaving. With my new body I was back at square one. I turned to see Cole on the other side of the room, and was thankful I hadn't eaten yet.

His front was covered in black tar, still dripping from his mouth. A feral look was in his eyes as he stared at me, as if I were his prey. Under any other circumstance I likely wouldn't have minded, or even noticed, but under any other circumstance he would not be attempting to kill me. There was nothing I could bring myself to do. I would not have time to grab a pot or pan, but a knife would do irreparable damage to the friend I knew had to still be beneath the monster.

He lunged towards me and I lifted my arms to cover my face, waiting for the impact, but it never came. I lowered my stance and blinked in confusion at Cole, who was still trying to lunge at me, but wasn't moving. I stepped closer to see a clear substance climbing his legs and hardening, slowly encasing his entire body. I recovered just enough from the shock to recognize what was happening.

"No!" I ran to him. Despite whatever happened to him, I still cared about him. "Please, don't do this!" By the time I reached him he was completely frozen. My fingers traced lightly over my encased friend. "Why..."

"I'm so sorry. There was no other way, but he will be ok." I looked passed him to find the familiar, soothing voice. With my friends stood a woman, white hair cascading down her back. I would recognize her anywhere.

"Mother!" I only lingered a moment before running to her. After everything that happened, after so long apart I had nearly forgotten what she looked like. Of course now that I was human again I would never truly forget her, but everything I remembered about her had blurred. It was bittersweet, her arms around my thin frame, after she had frozen Cole in her crystal.

"Zane, it's so good to see you again." She hadn't seemed to age after all these years trapped in her own crystal, guarding us from...

"Mother, Cole- he.... she possessed him. You have to let him go, we have to help him!" I stepped back towards my friends, who had move to inspect what happened to Cole. Cole... My heart ached seeing him like that, frozen in confusion and anger. It was unlike anything I had ever seen of him.

"I know. Her presence here broke my barrier, but don't worry. Your friend will be fine." She stepped past me and inspected her work. "Just as it kept her at bay, my power can destroy what is in your friend. It will simply take time."

"Thank you, Mrs. Julien. My students and I are in your debt." I turned to see Sensei bow his head. Mother laughed.

"Please, call me Cait. And any friend of my son is a friend of mine."

My friends introduced themselves to my mother, and I was glad to see everyone getting along, but I hung back with the Cole statue. My fingers traced over his frozen face gingerly. I wondered if he was aware of what was going on around him, if he were scared, unsure of what was happening to him. Mother had said it would take time, but after her years as a crystal tree, how long?

"You really like him, don't you?" Zuri said softly. I nodded. "Hey, you don't have to worry. Mom'll have him back on his feet before you know it."

"Zuri... thank you..."

"No problem. Now come on, we're figuring out sleeping arrangements. I think the others are putting Statue Boy here in your room." I laughed and allowed her to lead me away. Somehow I wasn't at all upset about the prospect, however awkward it may end up being.

The rest of the evening was quiet. The only mildly interesting occurrence was courtesy of Nat, who gave everyone an unfortunate show by swallowing her fried fish whole- head still attached. Poor Jay seemed wildly disturbed, and part of me was glad Cole could not see it. The only consolation she gave was that she'd spit the bones out in the bathroom.

"Isn't it kinda wrecked though?" Kai stuck a thumb towards the hall. Sister laughed.

"We don't just have that one little half-bath, y'know." She said.

I spent some time telling Mother about Cole at the end of the night, about how out of the whole team, he was my best friend. And about how we worked together on missions, in more detail than during dinner where the whole team was telling stories. I even went into how he was borderline obsessed with his strength training. She simply smiled softly at me.

"I can tell you like him as more than a friend." She finally said.

"How?" I shifted in my seat. "Is... is it really so obvious?"

"Ha! Not to him it seems. But I've been in your shoes before. Interested in someone who seems more interested in their self."

"Then what would you suggest?"

"Just tell him. I know it won't be easy, but think of it like pulling off a bandaid. When you do it it'll hurt, but in the end it won't- whether the wound heals fully or leaves a scar."

I told her I would think on it. Of course I wanted to, but the prospect of potentially losing my best friend seemed too much. With that I retired, wondering how long it would be before Cole would be staying in my room with me. I slept peacefully that night, glad to be back in the room I had nearly forgotten after so long away.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Alright! So I have a general direction for this stories, but I was wondering if there was anything you guys would like to see happen. Or if you feel I'm doing anything OOC let me know and I'll try to do better in future chapters.