Crap

Hermione's POV:

No. It can't be. I ripped teeth out of its skeleton!

"Myrtle, you probably just got scared by something you thought was the basilisk," I said to the shaking ghost.

"That thing killed me!!! I would know what it looks like!!!" She shrieked at me.

"No. It's impossible. I saw it's skeleton and there is no existing magic to bring back the dead" I corrected her.

"Doctor...what's she on about?" said Professor Noble, addressing Professor Smith. Why'd she call him a doctor?

"I don't know. But isn't it exciting?" he said with a smile on his face.

"Exciting?? Slytherin's monster is supposedly back to haunt these halls and you're excited?" said Ginny from behind me. She stood as far as she could away from the sink with a terrified and pale face. I couldn't blame her, given her history with this bathroom.

"Nothing is back to haunt these halls, Gin." I said to try and calm her. "There's no possible way."

"Well if the ghost has seen it.." said Professor Noble, not particularly helpfully.

"Well...what if she saw something that looks like the monster?" inquired Professor Smith.

"What would be able to look like a Basilisk? A Boggart?" I said, "No wait, that would be impossible. The only living thing that had looked at a basilisk and wasn't killed or petrified was Harry, and I'm sure boggarts would have to know what the thing they're trying to look like, well, looked like, so it can't have been anything trying to look like a basilisk, it could have been something similar with the same kind of eyes."

But what the hell could that be?

"You are absolutely brilliant," said Professor smith with that excited twinkle in his wizened eyes. "Highly logical indeed."

"Okay, so now we know that this isn't a boggart or the real Basilisk, what is it?" Professor Noble said.

"Well, it might just be the thing that brought us here," said Professor Smith, then he bolted out the door with Professor Noble in tow.

Ginny and looked at each other, then ran after them.

"Sorry but, what exactly do you mean by 'brought you here?'" Ginny said as we caught up with them.

"Do you want to explain to them, Doctor, or shall I?" Noble said as she ran down the hallway towards the astronomy classroom.

"NOT REALLY!" said Smith. He skidded to a halt outside his office and dashed in and made sure Noble was in before he slammed the door in our faces.

"Hey! You can't just not explain what just happened! Tell us so we can help!" shouted Ginny at the shut door. He opened it only so we could see his face.

"I'm sorry girls, I would love your help, really, I would." he said through the door. "But if I explained anything to you it would cause a massive paradox and add another tear in the fabric of reality, so really must play it safe and make sure you don't get involved," he said. We looked at him in disbelief and tried to shout at him before he said, "Hey don't you have that essay for me due by tomorrow? You two should really go study," he said before shutting the door in our faces again.

We looked at each other with flabbergasted expressions before we turned around and headed back to the bathroom. Nothing about what just happened made any sense.

"Myrtle, you're sure about what you saw," I said when we got back to the bathroom.

"Well now that I think about it, I did see only the eyes. I didn't see a body."

Hmm. well that's new.