Chapter Five: MOROS

◤ ❝Could you feel it? When my heart broke in two? Did you see it?❞ ― Andromeda Erebus◢

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER FIVE:    MOROS

September 2, 1996

              The way to the dungeons was eerily different. Blaise was the one to point it out as he followed Mia, Draco, and Theodore to their Potions classroom that had been Snape's for so long. It was not the familiar pathway that was different; it was still difficult to see, and at times awkward to get around corners, but the feeling of walking down them that made it so odd. They were expecting to walk into the same classroom it'd for five years. Not the one that their new professor, Slughorn, took over. Knowing the man's bubbly persona, Mia had a feeling that his class would be completely opposite from what they previously knew. She would hate it. But she wasn't allowed to hate it, which made her want to hate it even more. She had to muster all of her good inside of her and throw it in Slughorn's face.

"You reckon he'll talk about his Slug Club?" Blaise asked, walking ahead of her as they neared closer to the classroom. He glanced back to Mia, the only other one asked to be in it, with raised brows. "I suspect he'll want to speak with you. He looked at the compartment doors every time they rattled to see if you would be joining us."

Draco scoffed. "I'm sure he will. He depends on students' success to keep himself relevant in the Wizarding World—why else would a pureblood want the company of a Weasley and a mudblood? He's wasting his time, really. Not like anyone besides the two of you will have a successful career in his little club anyway." 

Theodore and Mia both curled their shoulders uncomfortably at how slickly Draco threw the derogatory term into the conversation. Blaise snickered, his family raising him to use the term 'mudblood' as casually as Draco's did, but the Radnor women had raised both of their children well enough to stumble on the word. If Mia abhorred Granger's existence as much as she did Potter's, maybe she would use it. But until that day came, she would settle with letting her friends have their beliefs and stick to what her family taught her. Even if those lessons were often disregarded. After all, her mother hadn't raised her to be a Death Eater either. There she was, though, struggling every day to conceal the mark burned onto her left arm. 

They made it to the corridor where Potions class was and noticed that two of the three other houses had beat them. Four Ravenclaws were there, along with a single Hufflepuff that shuffled around a bit uncomfortably as the only one from his house—Ernie was his name, Mia faintly remembered. He was a pureblood. Mia hummed out thoughtfully at how few people were progressing onto N.E.W.T. level Potions. Just as they arrived, the Gryffindors Mia hoped all flunked the class came. Her day couldn't have gotten much worse after that, noticing that all three of the Golden Trio were walking to the same classroom. 

"You've got to be joking," she muttered under her breath, her head going back against the stone walls. Maybe if she closed her eyes, they would disappear. To her left, Draco didn't look any more pleased than she did. Their luck was complete shit.

Potter ended up making small-talk with the lone Hufflepuff while Mia kept her eyes on the ceiling, pretending that he didn't exist. She just wanted Slughorn to open up the doors, that way she could be further than three feet from Potter. After this morning, she didn't trust herself. Thankfully, her wish was answered with a particularly loud 'whoosh' when Slughorn swung open the door. A small nudge from Theo had her straightening her neck, watching as the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs went through. It already looked too bright to be the Potions room.