7: Twin traumas

An hour later, three footsore travellers limped into a very run down diner, almost collapsing into a corner booth and dumping various items of luggage beside them.

"My feet are dropping off!" Astrid protested and then her eyes widened, realising what she'd said. She looked apologetically at Hiccup but the auburn-haired man was too exhausted to notice.

"I'm ahead of you," he sighed, rubbing his left knee. His stump was really painful. A blonde waitress ambled up to the table.

"You want any drinks?" she asked.

"Cola," Astrid said and Fishlegs nodded as well.

"Triple coffee," Hiccup sighed. The woman winched up an eyebrow.

"You sure, honey? Our coffee is pretty strong!"

"And I'm more tired," he admitted. "Um-what's on the menu?"

"House burger, fries, slaw," the waitress said amiably. She looked very familiar with her long braids and grey eyes. Astrid frowned.

"Ruffnut Thornton?" she asked. The girl scribbled on her pad.

"Nope, don't stock any of those, just the house burger and..." Then she stopped and stared. "Astrid?"

"Ruff!!!" Astrid said and leap to her feet, hugging the girl firmly. Fishlegs grinned.

"Remember me?" he asked and Ruff grinned happily.

"Fishlegs!"

"Philip now," he said self-consciously. "Can't really have a  Financial and Tax Adviser called Fishlegs..."

"Well, you can but no one outside Berk would take you seriously..." Astrid noted. Then she frowned. "What're you doing here anyway?" Ruff rolled her eyes.

"Hmm, long story," she admitted. Astrid sat down and Ruff scooched alongside her.

"Tuff and I are truck drivers," she admitted and Astrid grinned.

"So you did it!" she laughed. Ruff nodded. "Thorston Thunder Trucking!"

"Yeah...but that damned Dagur and his friends sabotaged us and Tuff and I are working here to try to persuade the owner to get his mechanic son to mend B&B." Fishlegs frowned.

"B&B?" he asked.

"Our truck-Barf'n'Belch," the female twin explained. "Named after us two..." She paused. "Hey what're you doing here anyway, Ast?" There was a pause and Astrid sighed.

"Also a long story but Harry, Fish and I are heading back to Berk and we ended up thrown off the train when Fish pulled the communication cord..." 

"Hey!"

"Harry?" Ruff's voice was interested and her eyes drifted to Hiccup, who was sitting back in his seat, his eyes closed against the fierce headache he still had. "Ohhh...me likey! You've found one hot little Biker there, Astrid..."

"Hands off! I saw him first!" Astrid said fiercely and Hiccup's eyes snapped open. 

What was that? Astrid getting possessive over him? Oh Thor, if she ever found out who he really was, he was so extremely dead...