11: Epilogue- You remember my son Hiccup Haddock?

Astrid stared at her reflection in the mirror and smiled. Snoggletog had been far better than she could have imagined and being back with her family, with two dozen welcoming and fiercely loyal Hoffersons had made her feel...normal once more. Of course, her parents, younger brother Ivar and Uncle Finn had all been incredibly supportive about her divorce and all of them had promised that she would be safe and welcome with them for as long as she wanted to stay. But she had spent the few moments during the day-long party she hadn't been bantering with her family missing a sparkling pair of emerald eyes and lopsided smile.

She checked her lipstick and flicked her golden braid over her left shoulder. She was back on the stunning blood red silk dress though she was wearing rather more modest plain black stockings and the blood red killer heels because a tiny corner of her hoped that she may see Harry somewhere as they drove through Berk to the party. She brushed her skirt down and grabbed her purse, then grabbed a shawl and raced downstairs. Her parents, Ivar and Finn all stared at her appreciatively.

"That Bryan was a brainless fool," Finn growled, eyeing her with a smile. "My favourite niece has grown up into a beautiful Valkyrie!"  Astrid blushed, dipping her head. It sounded weird when her Uncle said it...because she really wanted to hear that gentle, slightly-nasal voice that had said the words with such complete sincerity it had made her heart judder...

"We're late," Halvard Hofferson said slightly impatiently and the family dutifully filed out to the SUV, wrapped warmly. It hadn't snowed yet but was forecast for later and the family wanted to be safely at their destination by then. They with their friends the Ingermans, the Thorstons and of course, the Jorgensens were all going to Mayor Stoick Haddock's sixtieth birthday party. It was a family affair with only close friends present but Astrid and her generation were expected to attend as well. She sighed: an afternoon fending off Snotlout was coming ahead, though at least the twins and Fishlegs would be there. She guessed they had all got home safely...though she still smiled at the way Harry had punched out the irritating Snotlout. Gods, that had been something that had been coming for years!

"The Mayor's son will be at the party as well," Ingrid told her daughter and Astrid glanced up. She had forgotten that Hiccup would be there. She had ignored him at school but he had vanished three days after graduation and it had been his example that had prompted her to make her own move. After all, if useless Hiccup could sum up the courage to flee Berk, then certainly 'Fearless' Astrid Hofferson shouldn't allow anything to hold her back. Unbidden, Harry's words rolled round her memory:

Would you have gone for a guy like me before? Or would you have chosen the jock?

Yet Harry was an amazing guy-sarcastic, clever, patient, inventive...and he was certainly no jock. She sighed. She should give Hiccup a chance: after all, what had she to feel superior about? A failed marriage, no home or car and an empty bank account. Her escape from Berk had failed and she was now back home with all her worldly possessions in two suitcases that she had needed Harry's help to drag home. 

She touched her fingers to her lips once more and smiled in memory of that searing final kiss. She would greet Hiccup like an old friend and treat him as he deserved-like one of their gang, a fellow graduate from Berk High and escapee from Berk. They had treated him poorly for too long and now she was back, it was time to make up for past mistakes.

The SUV pulled up outside the house, seeing the others' cars already there. The Hoffersons swiftly rang the doorbell and Valka let them in, kissing everyone on the cheek and taking coats as they entered. Astrid and her family went into the main drawing room, greeting old friends and collecting drinks. She grinned at he twins and Fishlegs and tried to avoid Snotlout, who had two black eyes, a swollen nose and a huge bruise on his chin. She grabbed an egg nog and drifted over to the twins and hugged Ruff in greeting, before bumping fists with Tuff.