Chapter Twelve: 'Saftey Net.'

This feeling of utter pain surrounded the bottom half of my body.
The lady who took swobs and tests was extremely comforting. I think she knew or had experienced what I had been through. You know that look on somebody's eyes where they genuinely, understand.
She had that look.

Out in the waiting room sat a perfectly calm Marshall who had been interviewed for a third time just the day before.
His father was working his magic on how to get Marshall out of prison time.. Even though he defended me and I backed him up during each statement and hearing; they had to investigate further.
All I wanted was for the attention to stop.. Luckily nothing was put into the papers - I mean, I was extremely shocked as to how they weren't.
It was a major crime, rape and murder would be the headlines - authors and journalists crawling around from every corner begging for interviews.
But no, there was nothing like that and I was thankful.

I didn't call my parents and nor did the police. I didn't feel like I wanted to tell them; I didn't want to cause them worry, a shock nor a pit-full of anger.
I had Marshall and he was looking after me while they could enjoy their holiday in peace.

Back at my place, Marshall sat down on the sofa next to me and looked up at the television.
I smiled gently, pulling the covers over me and snuggling up.

"Marshall?" I asked.

"What's up beautiful?"

Marshall didn't scare me. I mean.. I should have been scared, right? He did murder his own brother and some how continue like it was nothing. Usually a girl in that situation, going through what I was going through would be wanting to say over 50ft away from any male.. but no, all I wanted to be was close to Marsh.
He gave me an impression of safety, security. He made me feel something nobody else did.

"I just.. I like spending time with you. Do you know that?"  The painkillers I took that morning were beginning to kick in. I wasn't feeling as hurt as I did prior - part of me just wanted Marshall by me, no matter what.

He chuckled quietly before turning to look at me. "I like spending time with you too."

"I will, I will recover from this." I smiled, trying to reassure him (for no particular reason, at all.)

"I know you will. You are a strong girl, I'll hang by your side for as long as you need me."
His smile was more comforting than Ben & Jerry's ice cream on a lazy evening. Yes, it really was THAT comforting.

The question was, how long was I going to need him? Because at that point I felt like I needed him with me... like permanently.
I needed that sense of security, that feeling of being wanted and protected.

"Marshall I think.. that we should go out together soon."
That was a huge step for me. We hadn't set foot out side of my house apart from the times we had to pop down the station and clinic.

His eyes widened in surprise. Maybe I was stronger than he expected.

"If you don't want to, I understand." I nodded.

He shook his head in response, he was just.. way too calm.
"Of course I want to go out with you. Actually, there is something you could help me with."
He had a cheeky smirk playing on his lips as he shifted himself closer to me. I smiled in return to his beautiful looks, perfect cheekbones and casual ways.
It was as if nothing had even happened, no pain, no sexual abuse, no murder.
We could just... move on with life.

"What is it?"

"Well, I need to find myself a new apartment."

"That's understandable." I said quietly, looking down at my lap.

"Hey, hey.. look don't think like that." Marshall began to reassure. "Think of it like... a fresh start. If I'm lucky, I may still get a chance to attend college and you could be my...?"

He paused looking into my eyes keenly waiting for me to finish his sentence. He bit down on his lips as a few seconds passed.
I let out a little giggle, "what? I don't know."

He sighed with that nice smile and sat back into the sofa, crossing his arms. "You know, you could be my roommate."

Wow.. I was frozen in shock - he asked me to move in with him and that was not what I ever expected to be doing.
He was so kind, so gentle, I had no reason to say no; all I wanted to do was to be with him.

"I'd love to be your roommate." I smiled happily for the first time in days. Regardless of what I planned before school finished - this was what I wanted. I was so curious to get deeper in with Marshall, he was forming into an open book that I just wanted to read.

"Really?"

"Really." I leant beside him and planted a kiss on his cheek - a new start seemed to be what I needed and with Marshall?
I was happy to take that step.

•••

That night Marshall ordered take-out as the two of us were too lazy to cook for ourselves.

Since his apartment wasn't worth going back to on his behalf; I agreed to let him stay with me until we both found our place.

"Chicken kebab for me.. and a lamb kebab wrap for you." Marshall said as he picked out the food from the plastic bag it was in and handed it to me.

"Thank you."

The lights were dimmed and the certain a were drawn. The TV was on and the house was lit up completely.
Joanne and Kaitlyn messaged me a few times and I responded - FYI, I never told them about the incident. They would've asked too many questions and would have overstayed their welcome.

As I've been saying - all I wanted was Marshall with me.

"When do you fancy taking a look at apartments then?" I asked just before taking a huge bite out of the kebab wrap.

Marshall was chewing but he responded with a mouth full anyaay, "I was thinking about calling an estate agent tomorrow."

"What, you're gonna' buy one? I can't afford that Marshall honestly I thought we would've rented-" Marshall cut me off before I could finish my sentance.

"Calm down babe. My dad is sorting it for us." Marshall chuckled as he wiped mayyonaise from the corner of his mouth with his finger.
"By the way, that's the most I've heard you talk in a few days."
He smiled contently, I just smiled back. I didn't know what to say - him and his father had been way too generous to me.

"I can't expect your dad to pay Marshall..."

"Uh, yes you can. Alright? I'll ignore you if you carry on." His facial expression dropped to a straight and narrow; yet playful look.

I giggled. I couldn't win with him.
"Fine, ok I'll stop."

"Good." He randomly smiled before tucking back into the kebab. "When is your mum and dad back, again?"

"Two or three days, I don't.. I don't want to tell them, so please, don't be surprised if I act 'normal'."

"It's fine. I understand beautiful."

He was more than understanding, the way he just didn't ask questions anybody else would. I know so many people think that they would need their family, loved ones or friends' support, but I had Marshall.

His current support seemed like so much more than the all of there's put together.

•••

After a while of munching on random food (seeing as I didn't have an appetite for a few days) the both of us cleaned up and headed into the kitchen to make a brew.
We both had a little laugh, casual banter and eventually headed upstairs to bed.

No, we didn't do anything sexually. I didn't feel too comfortable since what happened with James, but we still cuddled. His embrace was my safety net and we would sleep that way all night.

•••

End of Chapter: Twelve

•••

I apologise for the shorter length of this chapter and for not publishing for a while.
As I'm bouncing between platforms it is easy to get carried away on one rather than the other.