Chapter 14: Metempsychosis

"Would you look at that. The sun's coming up."

"Bill, I would kill you right now if I could see you through my closed eyes. But I can't."

"You can't fall asleep now! You're almost there!"

"Bill, if you don't let me sleep soon, I am seriously going to kill you."

"You're like a reverse Scheherazade."

"Just shut up so I can finish this already."

--------------------------

"NO!" Y/N screamed, tearing away from Dipper and Ivan. "Bill!" she shouted, her voice cracking. A tremor shook the Fearamid as she looked around frantically for Bill, but there was no sign of him.

"...Bill?" she whispered again, waiting to hear his whiny voice, for him to cackle in that infuriating way of his and mock her for falling for his prank... Because it was surely a joke, wasn't it? He had to be playing some mean-spirited trick on her... right?

She covered her face with one hand, gritting her teeth to hold back her tears. She was ready to sink to her knees in despair, but a low chuckle caught her attention.

Dipper was laughing, watching Y/N triumphantly. The other members of the Society had barely reacted to Bill's disappearance, seemingly content to wait for Ivan's further directions.

"I... I win!" Dipper exclaimed, sounding shocked. "I did it!"

"Congratulations, my boy." Ivan smiled tightly. "You've slain the beast and saved the girl."

Dipper's smile widened as he turned to Y/N, only to be met with a vicious right hook to the face. He stumbled backward, nose already bleeding, as Y/N wound up for another punch.

"Get your hands off my brother!" Mabel snarled, leaping to intercept Y/N as the Fearamid rumbled again. They both crashed to the ground, clawing and hair pulling, shrieking at earsplitting volume. They might have torn each other to shreds had strong arms not pried them apart.

"That's enough!" Stanford commanded, shoving Mabel away from Y/N and whipping the memory gun out from inside his trench coat. "Nobody come any closer!"

"What?" Ivan asked, dumbfounded. "Where did you get that?" His eyes narrowed as he seemed to realize for the first time that Y/N and Ford weren't supposed to have been here. "What did you do to my subordinates?" he demanded.

"The same thing I'm about to do to you," Ford threatened.

As Ford fired the gun, Ivan lunged to grab Mabel by the arm and yank her in front of him. She cried out as the beam hit her squarely in the chest, then went limp in Ivan's arms. He tossed her aside and she collapsed like a rag doll.

"NO! MABEL!" Dipper screamed, drawing Y/N's attention back to him.

"Oh no you don't," she growled, stepping away from Ford to advance on Dipper. "I'm not through with you yet."

"Y/N, I-" he was cut off by a sharp knee in the gut, followed by an elbow to his already-broken nose.

"Aaaaugh!" he shrieked, trying to scramble away, but Y/N wasn't about to let him go so easily.

"I... have... had... enough... of... you!" Y/N punctuated each word with a blow, driving Dipper back towards the broken door of the Fearamid. In the blink of an eye, Dipper was flailing in the doorway, with nothing but empty space below him and only Y/N's fist clamped on his collar keeping him from falling.

"Y/N... please!" he begged, his eyes searching hers for any sort of mercy. "I only did this... because I love you!"

With her free hand, Y/N snatched the blue amulet off his bolo tie. "You utter imbecile," she hissed. "This isn't love. This is stalking, and I'm through with your freakish obsession. I'm through with you."