t w e l v e

"How do you expect to swim in the ocean if you refuse to learn how to float?"

"I can't do it." Tristan whined for the hundredth time, pouting as he clung to Gwen's side to stay above water. Despite the fact they were in the shallow part of the lake and the tips of his toes could touch the bottom if he tried. Tristan was not going to risk it though, he wasn't confident enough to do so which is why he opted for wrapping his arm around Gwen's waist and curling his legs around her thighs.

"Yes, you can Tristan." She told him sternly and tried to peel him off her body. He was being stubborn today and Gwen's patience with him was wearing thin. "You're not even trying. How can you improve if you won't try?"

"I did try!" He protested and whined when Gwen finally managed to pull him away from her. She still held him under his arm pits and his hands clung to her forearms. "I can't do it, I won't ever know how to swim, Gwen. Just let me get out."

"No." She said firmly. "You'll try again until you get it at least once. You refuse to lift your belly into the air when lying on your back, that's why you won't stay afloat." She told him and turned him so he was faced towards the rocks. "Now lay on your back, I'll keep my hand beneath you in case you sink. Extend your arms and jut your belly upwards, then just relax."

Begrudgingly, Tristan did as she said and hesitantly lied on his back above the water. He raised his belly up when Gwen softly reminded him to and forced his back muscles to relax. His eyes were focused on the blue sky above him, and when Gwen suddenly removed her hands from beneath him with out him realizing it, she smiled in pride. Slowly, she lifted her hands up and Tristan's blue eyes flickered to her them. It registered for him that she was no longer holding him up and he was in fact, floating on his own.

He gasped excitedly and in triumph, that his short moment of happiness caused his legs to kick out and he sank down into the water. His head plunged beneath the surface for a split second but he quickly doggy paddled the way Gwen had showed him. He coughed up water and blinked rapidly as he resurfaced and Gwen gripped his elbow, hauling him up and bringing him closer so she could support him.

"I did it!" He shouted happily, not caring that his lungs were still aching with left over water. He spluttered once more and held onto Gwen's arm as his short legs began to grow tired from kicking so much. "Did you see? I did it!"

"I saw." Gwen laughed and gripped him beneath his arm pits again, picking him up just before she sat him at the edge of the lake. "Now, we're done for the day."

"Yes!" Tristan pumped his fist into the air happily and eagerly stood up to his feet. The late afternoon sun glinted against his skin as he looked down at Gwen, eyebrows drawing together over his big blue eyes. "Are you not getting out? Harry told us we can play a game of football tonight before supper."

Gwen hummed, brushing the ends of her long hair that were wet from floating above the water. "I don't think so. I feel like swimming for a while."

"Oh, alright." Tristan bounced on his toes and Gwen smiled in amusement, knowing how eager he was to return to camp. "Do you want me to tell Harry?"

"If he asks." She answered, turning her back to him so he couldn't see the flush of her cheeks when she thought of the very boy she hadn't been able to stop thinking about throughout the night and day.

"Okay! See you later!" She heard him call hurriedly before she glanced over her shoulder to see him disappear through the trees. She laughed softly to herself and shook her head, turning back around to face the rocks. She gazed at the waterfall, falling into another one of her thoughtful trances as she brushed her hair and moved to float above the water. She still had her nightgown on and it was thoroughly soaked, the fabric hovering over the water as she spread her body out eagle style. The weight of the gown caused her to sink and she stood back up, her toes touching the shallow end before she gripped the hem of the gown and shrugged it off over her head. It was heavy even off her body and she wrung it out above the water, then moved to lie it flatly on the rocky part of the floor so it could dry. She sighed once she was done, lying on her back again and spreading her arms out on either side of her.