s e v e n t e e n

Two days had passed before Gwen finally decided to leave the comfort of her hut. She had holed herself in there when the morning after the attack from the mermaids, she found that her limbs were painfully sore. Dark purple bruises had been scattered around her calves and thighs, all the way up to her hips where you could clearly see where Venus' fin had wrapped around her. Gwen was horrified when she saw the marks on her body and decided to hide herself away in her hut. Not that she had much of a choice. Her limbs were so sore she could barely stand without grimacing.

Though holing herself up in her hut hadn't been so terrible. She spent her days sleeping the pain away and giving her body the much rest it needed, and when she wasn't sleeping she entertained herself with making flower crowns out of leaves, branches, and daises Harry had brought to her when he'd come see her. He'd watch her make the crowns while he spoke to her about the most random things or they'd simply sit there in comfortable silence. Gwen didn't mind it much, she liked being around Harry even if they weren't doing anything eventful.

But today, she was forcing herself out of bed now that her bruises had faded enough not to draw so much attention and her body was no longer sore. The fact that Harry had also delivered the news that Tristan kept asking for her might also be the reason she was drawing herself away from her comfort. She hadn't seen or spoken to the boy in two days and she had seen the worried look on his face when he saw Gwen at the lake. She wanted to assure him she was alright.

So, with her hair tied up with the white ribbon she still had, she opened the door of her hut and stepped out into the bright sunny day. Her eyes squinted the moment the light hit her eyes and she had to use her hand to shield them from it, needing some time to get used to the sudden brightness. She blinked and blinked, before dropping her hand and looking down both ways of camp. A few lost boys had been walking by when she came out and had now slowed down to watch her out of curiosity, their whispers faltering when Gwen made eye contact with them. Unsurely and hesitantly, she raised her hand again and gave them a small wave along with a tight smile. They stared at her a moment longer then nodded their head in a half-hearted gesture to acknowledge her before they turned their backs and continued on their way.

Clasping her hands together in front of her stomach, she trudged through camp and threaded through the various huts surrounding hers until she was approaching the middle of the small village. She noticed a crowd gathered on the floor, and after catching sight of Tristan's light brown messy hair, she moved towards them. The leaves crackling under her feet drew their attention and one of the boys looked up, nudging the boy next to him in the arm when he saw Gwen. The boy turned his head around and Gwen recognized him to be one of Harry's close friends- Will.

"Oh Gwenevieve," He said as he stood up on his feet. His eyes crinkling in the corners as he gave Gwen a genuine smile. "Hi. How are you feeling?"

Gwen's face twisted in confusion at his question and Will was quick to elaborate. "Harry told us you were a bit beaten up after the other day and that you were resting. Are you feeling better?"

"Oh." She blinked in surprise that he was actually asking her how she felt. She knew Peter didn't like her, along with some of the other lost boys so she had assumed Will hadn't liked her as well. "I feel better, yes. Thank you for asking."

"Sure." He nodded and raised an eyebrow at her when he noticed Gwen looking around. "Harry isn't here. In case you're looking for him."

"Where is he?"

"He went into the forest with Peter and Earl. He should be back soon."

Gwen nodded at the news and glanced over at Tristan just as he looked up from the drawing in the dirt. His eyes widened when he saw her and he dropped the stick, jumping to his feet with excitement. "Gwen!" He shouted happily and ran over to her. He flung his body into hers, wrapping his small arms around her waist as he hugged her tightly. Gwen winced at the contact, but still returned his hug by tightening her own arms around his shoulders.