t w e n t y • s e v e n

Harry had never truly been afraid before.

Before arriving to Neverland, he was the brave one out of all his friends. The one who was always up for taking a risk or putting himself in challenging situations. Coming to Neverland didn't change that either, he was never scared to face the dangerous animals on the Island or to come face to face with Hook. He never feared for his life, because if he was honest? The possibility of dying didn't scare him. He lived adventurously and knew that If one day, he did die, his life would of been lived to its fullest.

The only time Harry had ever felt remotely afraid was Gwen's health being put at risk. Even then, he hadn't felt the kind of fear he was currently feeling as Kocoum's words repeatedly echoed in Harry's ears. It was the kind that had his body frozen while his heart felt as if it dropped to the pit of his stomach. His hands had broken out into a cold sweat and the air in his lungs got caught in his throat.

"Excuse me?" He finally whispered after the initial shock had passed.

"I said she's preg-,"

"No, I heard you." Harry interrupted and lifted his hand, running it through his hair as he tugged on the roots. "It's just-, that's impossible." He spoke, furrowing his brows as he thought it over. "We don't grow up here. She can't be pregnant."

Kocoum stared at Harry and sucked in his lips, stepping forward and lightly putting his hand to Harry's shoulder. He lead Harry back towards the logs and Harry, with his confusion and shock, let him guide him to sit down. He blinked at the ground, eyes wide as he tried to think over how the hell this was possible. He knew maybe if they'd been back in England it would of made more sense but they're in Neverland. Time doesn't move, therefore none of them grow. His hair stopped growing the moment he arrived here so how was it possible for a baby to be growing inside of her?

"It's not impossible," Harry lifted his head when Kocoum began to speak, eyebrows furrowing as Kocoum leant forward to rest his elbows on his knees. "She's definitely pregnant."

Harry was silent for a long moment, blinking at Kocoum before he finally shook his head. "I don't understand. I mean-, how?"

Kocoum sighed and the way his body straightened, Harry knew whatever Kocoum was about to say was very important. So he leant forward, preparing himself for what he was about to hear. "Do you ever notice how there are always boar to hunt, despite how often we've all killed them?"

Harry nodded slowly, unsure where he was going with this. "Yes."

"How about how there is always fish? Or the fact that the mermaids seem to constantly grow in numbers?" Harry furrowed his brows but Kocoum didn't wait for Harry to respond. "The reason for that is because they reproduce. We, might not be able to grow but that's because we're not from here. We're not part of this island. The boars, the birds, the fish, the mermaids, they were born here. They are Neverland. The magic that effects us has no effect on them."

Harry shook his head, still unable to comprehend how this was possible. "But Gwen isn't part of Neverland either."

"No, she isn't. But that baby, is. It was concieved here." Harry felt his stomach twist and he stilled as Kocoum tilted his head. "Maybe I'm still not making sense. Think of it this way; a woman's uterus is its own world or universe. It doesn't matter where she is, whether she grows or doesn't, her reproductive system is separate and still working."

"So you're saying, this is for real? Gwen is carrying my child?" Harry whispered in a rush.

"For now, yes."

"What do you mean, for now?" When Kocoum didn't respond Harry pressed on. "What is it? What else are you not telling me?"

Kocoum fell silent and stared at the floor, an unreadable look on his face before he finally looked up at Harry. He gave him a sad smile, eyes dimming. "You know, I was in your place just a few years ago." Harry frowned, straightening his back as he sat up. "Gwen wasn't the first girl to come to the island."