Chapter 5

Gwaine felt nothing but pain. He felt like his soul was being burnt, trampled and pierced by a thousand poisoned swords. It felt like forever, and he could almost see the liberating darkness in the back of his mind. However, soon it stopped. Instead, he felt a pleasant warmth flowing through him, reminding him of sunshine. A beautiful voice sounded in his head. On the other hand, was it from outside? He did not know.

Come stop your crying

It will be all right

Just take my hand

Hold it tight

I will protect you from

All around you

I will be here

Don't you cry

It was as if the voice guided him from his pain, and back into life. He began to feel things around him. The slight breeze in his hair, something soft under him, maybe a blanket? He now knew that the voice came from beside him, he could hear whomever it was breathing.

For one so small

You seem so strong

My arms will hold you

Keep you safe and warm

Gwaine fought to open his eyes and meet his savior. As he finally succeeded, he was shocked. Not only was it the girl he met back in Camelot, but the white dragon was rolled up around her. He noticed that he was in some sort of tent. As she realized that he was awake, she immediately told him to stay where he was, as she fetched him some cold water. He was staring at the dragon when she returned. When she saw him, she started to giggle.

"Don't worry. Aithusa won't harm you now. She just got a little protective of me." She smiled and a small cup to his lips. He drank it gratefully. When he trusted his voice, he asked.

"Protective of you? I don't see why..." he wondered. Who would trust a dragon like that? When he noticed the mischievous look in her eyes, realization began to dawn on him. She laughed as his eyed began to widen.

"But... the neckerchief is Merlins, but when we picked it up, it... "Her stern look made him swallow. "... she attacked us. Then you say that she is protective of you, then... no way."

Her grin began to widen.

"MERLIN!?"

"Hello Gwaine."

...

Arthur was ready to pull his hair out after Percival's message. However, as King, he couldn't do that. But looking at the Drakonians, they seemed shocked and a bit confused.

"Your Majesty?" Prince Mathew asked.

"Yes?"

"What is going on? When we arrived, several soldiers and Knights were riding into the woods around here. Now a Knight as injured by a dragon, and currently missing. We need to know."

"Well... my manservant went missing. He was more than that though. He was a friend to all of us, a good one at that. I was the last one to see him. He was annoyed that I was disturbing him on his day off, but when I told him that Knights from Drakonia was coming, he paled and dropped things. He hurried me out the door, and no one has seen him since. He only left some notes that barely said anything. The fact the Sir Gwaine went missing just the day after, is not a good sign. The fact that there was another dragon out there is just... weird. I thought I had killed the last one..."

Suddenly Prince Mathew started laughing loudly. As he saw their faces, he calmed down.

"What is so funny?" Percival asked being angry.

"I'm sorry, but... you killing a dragon? Really? That is just brilliant!"

"Why is that?" Gwen asked.

"No man can kill a dragon, not with dragon defending himself. Only a Dragonlord can do that!"

"But... my father killed all of them, except one!"

"That's what they want to believe. The fact that a small white dragon exists means that a Dragonlord is still out there to summon it from the egg. The dragons are probably hiding."

"But... that's impossible. The last Dragonlord is dead. I saw Balinor die."

At this sentence, the Drakonians hitched their breath, and a silent tear ran down the Princes cheek.

"What is the matter?" Gwen was worried at this.

"The last Dragonlord Balinor, no King Balinor, was my father."

...

"But if you are Merlin, then why did you leave? If you were just cursed, then why didn't you just say so?"

"Because I'm not cursed, Gwaine. As I wrote in the notes, 'Merlin' never existed. I was charmed to look like a boy, so I would be safer. The reason I can't go back, is the fact that the Drakonians are still there. If it is a trap, then I am doomed."

"Oh... but if you are not... 'Merlin'... then who are you?"

Merlina sighed.

"I... I am Princess Merlina Aria of Drakonia. At least I used to be before my cousin Ataar took over the kingdom by force. I was six years old at the time. Everything was normal, when his men suddenly attacked. Kinda like what happened when Agravaine attacked."

Gwaine looked at her as if she was crazy. She sighed, and pulled her royal seal out from under her cloak. It was shaped like a shield, a deep blue color, with a silver dragon wrapped around a sword on it.

"Do you believe me now?"

"I believe you. And I forgive you Merls." Gwaine smiled at her, and she smiled back.

"Thank you, Gwaine."

So now, Gwaine knows. Thank you to everybody who reviewed!!!! I decided to use  Sleepsong as the lullaby Hunith sang, You'll be in my heart as a song Merlina made, and once upon a December might come up later. I don't know.  See ya!