Chapter 9

Johnathan sat in his office staring blankly at the files in front of him

Johnathan sat in his office staring blankly at the files in front of him. His mind was consumed with thoughts of Hailey, and lately if he thinks about his daughter he finds himself thinking about April. Since the night two weeks ago that he let them talk, things took a whole one eighty turn. Hailey was opening up more, her grades picked up, even her smile was a little brighter. All she talks about is April. Thanks to her April has been a constant guest in their house every other night for dinner, sometimes she even made dinner.

Then they come back to the office for work and April treats him like nothing's changed, strictly professional. Any other woman would have taken things and turned it into office gossip but not her. He found he admired that. Just as he had admired her last night in her black skinny jeans that firmly hugged her behind while she bent to open the oven or stretched to reach into cupboards. Topped with her old college hoodie that swallowed the top half of her body and left him missing the red shirt she wore the night before that. It had clung to her breast. Her very round perky...

Oh for God's sake get your mind out of the gutter. He scolded himself.

"Let me guess. You got laid last night?"

He heard someone say from the door. He handed even heard the door being open. He looked up and saw his younger brother leaning against his open door.

"Jason? What are you doing here?" He asked even though it was always good to see his brother.

"I'm in town on business of course" Jason replied as he moved away from the door and closed it behind him.

"If you had business in town I would have known."

"OK you caught me. I'm here to see how my favorite big brother is doing"

"I'm your only brother. Now tell me why you're really here"

"OK fine. Our mother called me going on about your tabloid scandals. She thinks you're out to ruin the family's reputation"

"You can tell mother I'm not a child. I'm a man, which means I too desire the pleasure of having a woman close by"

"Except brother in your case its not just one or two women. Its as if you're collecting a different woman each night to audition for a spot for your own personal harem"

Johnathan glared at his brother. Last thing he felt like he needed right now is a lecture. Just then there was a knock on the door then April walked in.

"Sir I just got a call from Hailey. She wants someone to come pick her up from school she's feeling ill" said April then she paused and looked over at Jason then back at Johnathan obviously sensing the tension.

"I'm sorry I didn't know you were in a meeting" she replied

"I'm not. Jason this is my assistant April Edwards, April this is my brother Jason." Said Johnathan making the introductions

"Hello, nice to meet you" April replied offering a handshake. Her eyes widened when instead Jason gently turned her hand over a placed a kiss on the back. She turned to look at Johnathan and found him glaring at his brother.

"Pleasure is all mine. My niece worships the ground you walk on. You're all she talk about" said Jason.

"You talk to Hailey?" Asked Johnathan

"But of course. She my only niece so of course she calls me every week. We video chat during Pretty Little Liars so we can talk about the show" Jason replied

"Pretty Little what?" Asked Johnathan with a confused expression.

"Oh brother you need to get with the times." Jason replied shooting April a wink that made her giggle in response.

Johnathan turned to look at her and watched as she tried to cover her mouth to hide her laughter. Her eyes glistened.

"Oh there goes the phone. I have to take that. Tell Hailey I hope she feels better. And Jason, really nice meeting you" she rushed out and closed the door behind her.

"So she's the ants in your pants that's making you act crazy huh brother?" Said Jason.

"What?" Johnathan replied turning to look at him.

"I saw the way you were staring at her Johnathan." He said

"Get your eyes checked. You're seeing things" Johnathan replied picking up his jacket from the back of his chair. And his Keyes from his desk.

"Oh this is even better. You're in denial." Said Jason following his brother out of the office.

"I'm not in denial!" Johnathan exclaimed

"I do love a good office gossip" said Jason rubbing his hands together.

"You can have the rest of the day off" Johnathan told April as he passed by her desk.

"Thank you" she replied looking up at him with a timid smile.

"Hand me some popcorn it gets even better! She's in on it too!" Jason replied laughing and clapping his hands like a crazy person.

"In on what?" Asked April

"Ignore him" Johnathan replied dragging his brother to the elevator.

"So what holding you back from this one?" Asked Jason

Johnathan made an exasperated sound as he stepped out of the elevator into the parking lot and walked towards his car.

"Nothing is holding me back OK?"

"So you're going to ask her out then?"

"No"

"So you don't like her?"

Johnathan ignored him as he drove out of the parking lot and into the midday traffic.

"Well you're not denying it so I guess you really like her"

"Will you please be quiet?"

"Wait is that why you have become this serial dater? Are you trying to make her jealous or are you trying to forget about her?"

"I'm not a serial dater and how do you expect me to forget about the woman she works with me everyday. I'm not going to date one of my employees"

"So fire her"

"Don't be ridiculous. Fire her on what grounds?"

"I don't know brother, but think of something fast or we'll have to step in and handle things for you"

"We?"

"Mom can't wait to meet her"

"What are you all up to? Is Hailey even really sick?"

The wide eyed innocent look Jason turn on him before grinning and turning to look out the window was enough to answer his question.