Ch1: Caught in the Cross Fire

"In order to shut down ctOS you are going to have to get your hands dirty."

"I'm ready." I whispered.

"You got skill. I won't deny it but you can't do this on your own."

"Not much of a choice. You can't trust anyone these days."

"I don't for a second think you'll take my advice seriously." I laughed which in my current position could possibly get me killed. "Well at least take this much, start small. You can't take them down with one big hack. I know, I tried. Look where that's got me."

"I miss you Brandon." I murmured before ending the call. Time to focus. "Lets see what we got to work with here."

I clicked the small button on my glasses. The signal rerouted through my phone and displayed across the lenses of my glasses giving me access to the blue prints of the building. Virtual reality in reality. Very high grade tech which also made it very expensive. But for someone like me it opened up worlds.

There were only two heat signals on this floor besides me. And the program on my phone profiled them as both being human. They both happened to be approaching me fast. I ducked behind the corner, my fingers curling tightly around my stun baton.

"I can't believe Dedsec managed to get inside-Hey, who are-" I cut him off with 50,000 volts of electricity to his throat. The other guard could barely stifle out a cry before I dropped him too.

"Well that was easier than I thought." I chuckled to myself. I followed the hallway down to the stair case and descended into the basements of the building. Almost right away, five red heat signatures lit up on my lens. They were scattered through out the level, more of them closer to the access point I needed to reach.

Okay, maybe this wasn't going to be as easy as I had hoped.

But I did have a little something up my sleeve for this. I pulled the fist sized ball out of my satchel along with my phone. Crouching I slid along the wall into the center of the server room. The floor changed from concrete to metal walk ways and looking over the edge I knew that fall would do some serious damage.

I waited until I came to the center isle before kneeling down and carefully rolling the ball down the middle. It came to a stop about halfway down the walkway. I pressed the button on my phone and an ear splitting shriek came from the sphere.

"The fuck is that?" A voice yelled.

"Hey, over here." Three out of five of the guards appeared down the center on of the isle. The most decorated of them leaned down to pick it up. "What is this thing." I double pressed the button sending a pulse of high electricity through them all at once. They convulsed dropping to the ground out like a light in seconds.

"This is a restricted area." I whipped around to face the man who was holding a gun up at me. Before he could pull the trigger I spun around  the corner back down the main way snatching up the now silent silver ball. About two rows up a guard came around the corner gun in hand. I raised my baton hitting his hands where they gripped his gun then with a strike across the face knocked him out. He dropped just as the guard behind me shot off a bullet and I took cover. I could hear his pounding steps as I circled around the servers coming around the other side just as he stopped to kneel down beside his fallen friend. My baton hit him square across the shoulders and then he was down too.