Ch 13: Better Times

By the time we got down to the Hackerspace, there was little left to do. Marcus and Josh had tracked down some of the members of the Tezcas and were already raising hell. Sitara was already planning on a memorial for Horatio on a train bridge not to far from where he lived. Multiple other members had side projects going on dismantling their organization.

"Here." Wrench said grabbing a small box off of his work bench. I took it shooting him a look. "Since your other new one is probably dead." he said shoving his hands into his pockets and shrugging.

I pulled back the lid exposing the phone inside. "Thank you."

"I had Ray pick it up, I think he got it up and running."

The phone sprung to life with a push of the home button. I typed in my information and instantly my apps began to download from the Cloud and Dedsec servers. Wrench left me alone while I sat on the couch waiting for everything to install.

All at once, my phone went off with a string of text alerts. Some of them were from various members of Dedsec. Marcus and Sitara asking if everything was okay, if the explosion was at my apartment. But the majority of them were from a blocked number.

Fence: text me back when you get this, it's your Uncle Nelson. i had to get a more secure number.

Fence: Kit, it's not safe. you need to get out of there!

Fence: Tezcas put a hit out on you, reply already.

Fence: come on kid, look at your phone. God knows you're on it enough

Fence: are you alright!!

Fence: God, there are firefighters and ambulances everywhere

Fence: come on, Kit

11:30 pm

Kit: I'm alright

Kit: little bruised but okay

Fence: thank the lord, what took you so long to reply kid. nearly had a stroke from the stress

Kit: lost my phone in the fire, just got this one

Fence: we need to talk

Fence: in person

Kit: ....can't, not yet at least. Wrench would never let me go off by myself injured

Fence: soon, then

"I got him." Josh called out. Everyone looked up from what they were doing. "I got him." I stood up walking over to his computer to look over his shoulder. He had a map Oakland brought up on his screen with a yellow marker over a building in Chinatown. "Hey, Marcus. I've track their leader, Pablo the Skinner, down to the dogfights in Oakland Chinatown."

"On my way."

"Let's get this guy, Marcus." I said softly.

"I will, you rest up Kit, we need you fully operational to take down Blume." He said before his comm cut off.

"How are you doing?" Josh asked looking up at me.

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" Sitara asked and I turned around to face her, T-bone, and Wrench. "I mean you almost died-" she froze for a second wincing.

"Really guys, I'm gonna be okay. This isn't my first time getting a concussion and I have had worse." I said holding my right hand up. "Promise." Sitara didn't look at all convinced, crossing her arms over her chest. T-bone seemed a little suspicious but nodded before heading back over to his laptop and resuming whatever he was working.