Ch 6: Unexpected

"Remember when you sprained your ankle? We were playing tag in the park."

I smiled to myself. Yeah, I remembered that. It was both one of my fondest and most painful memories with Brandon.

"You were running away from because I was It. And you weren't paying attention. You slipped and fell."

"And if I remember correctly, nine year old me cursed like a sailor that day." I chuckled.

"You yelled: fuck. And I think I nearly died laughing."

Sounds about right.

"I had to carry you eight blocks home. And you weren't a light kid." I could hear the laughter in his voice. "But do you know what I remember most from that day? It's the fact you didn't cry, even though you were in a lot of pain. I think I was freaking out more than you were."

"Kit!?" Sitara yelled and I looked up in shock pulling my head phones out.

"What?" I asked still slightly off guard.

I'd gotten to the Hackerspace about an hour ago and no one was here so I decided to chill on the couch for a bit. I must have not noticed Josh come in because he was sitting over in his usual place looking rather concentrated on whatever he was doing. I hadn't noticed her either, but I have a feeling Josh has been here longer and she just got in. He probably hadnt noticed me either. Both of us inside our own worlds.

"What happened to you last night?" She asked crossing her arms over her chest. "You said you'd be back in an hour and then disappeared."

"Yeah, I got caught up with things last night I'm sorry about that. I ran into some old friends and I couldn't escape them easily and by the time I did, I saw you'd already posted the video." I said rubbing my arm where the guard had hit me with his plastic baton.
There was definitely going to be a bruise. "I figured you didn't need my help after that."

"Whatever." She muttered walking away.

"Don't worry about Sis, she's just grumpy until she's had her morning coffee." Wrench said plopping down on the couch by my feet. "Besides it wasn't all that hard, we handled it."

"Did you get Siska to sign your mint conditioned lunch box?" I teased.

"No but I should have. Which reminds me, speaking of Siska, you and me are going for a little trip around San Francisco today." He stated matter of factly.

"What does that have to do with Siska?" I asked.

"Shhh. That's not the point." He said glancing over my question. "You are new here so I'm going to take you out to show you the sight and sounds."

"Okay, when do we go?" I asked.

"Right. Now." He said grabbing my hand and pulling me to my feet. "And don't struggle because we have a time line or else you'll miss it."

"Miss what?" I asked letting him lead the way up the stairs and outside. His hand still on mine.

"You'll see." He promised. "But for now, your carriage awaits." He said with a mock bow gesturing to the car next to us. I rolled my eyes but got into the passenger seat anyway.