Ch 14: Past Lives

I felt Wrench roll over in his sleep, twisting away from me. I opened my eyes sitting up in the partially lit room trying blinking away the blurriness. It had to be around 6 or 7 because light filtered weakly in through the slats of the blinds.

I looked back at Wrench who was laying on the edge of the bed, his body completely tense. In his sleep he had grabbed onto the sheets balling them up in his fists.

"Wrench." I murmured, reaching out and resting my hand on his shoulder to try shake him awake. I could feel him moving under my hand, as if he were trembling in fear. "Wrench."

Without my glasses on I was limited into how much detail I could see up close. But even with the blurriness I could see the lines of distress that cut into his face. Untangling myself from the blankets I moved over to his side leaning over him unsure of what to do, whether or not waking him was a good idea. I gave up any argument I had feeling the way he was literally shaking against my body.

"Wrench." I said as gently as possible leaning over him. I stroked away the hair and sweat that had plastered itself across his forehead. "Wake up, its just a bad dream." I reached to untangle his hands from the sheets but before I could his eyes snapped open.

A gasp escaped my lips accompanied with the feeling of the wind being knocked out of me. I landed on my back with both my hands pinned against the head board. Wrench was straddled over me breathing in and out heavily. "Wrench!" I hissed after I caught my breath tugging at the unnatural way held my wrists.

He blinked at me in surprise as if finally registered he was no longer asleep. He let go and I drew back my hands flexing them back and forth. I rubbed at the angry red marks that wrapped around my wrists from how tightly he held them.

"I'm so sorry, Kit." He whispered shutting his eyes. I reached up wrapping my arms his neck and pulling him down to me. Wrench let out a huff before rolling over and pulling me against his side burying his face in my neck. I sighed in response trailing my fingers through his hair soothingly.

His fingers tentatively traced their down my waist, over the skin that been exposed from my "borrowed" shirt ridding up. Before finally curling his fingers under my thigh and pulling it up and over his leg.

"Wrench."

"Hmm?" He hummed his voice muffled.

"Are the nightmares why you don't sleep?" I asked. He sighed heavily before answering.

"Yeah." He admitted and I could hear the embarrassment in his voice.

"I know the feeling." I replied softly letting my finger tips brush along his spine. He shivered slightly in response. "Do you want to talk about it?" I offered fully expecting him to say no.

He paused for a moment, as if thinking about it. "I had a pretty fucked up childhood Kit." He said after a while. When I didn't say anything he continued. "I mean I don't know if anyone at Dedsec has necessarily had a good one. Mine was just especially crappy."

"Where did you grow up?" I questioned going back to playing with his hair.

"Oakland." He answered. "My family, if you could call it that-" he muttered "were one of the ones priced out of San Francisco. Plus, it was closer to the Dog Fights."

"The Dog Fights?"

"It was how my dad made his money." Wrench said his voice growing darker. "God, those fucking dogs." He shivered and I squeezed him sympathetically.