Chapter 4

This was getting quite uncomfortable.

Maine forced herself to continue eating, to ignore her companions' stares. They had been at it for the past twenty minutes and they weren't even saying anything to her. She shifted in her chair for the nth time. She really didn't want to spend the rest of the night pretending that she wasn't bothered by their behavior.

Finally, she put down her fork and stopped eating. "Nay Lena, bakit po? May dumi po ba sa mukha ko? Kanina pa po kasi kayo nakatingin ni Tay Tonyo."

"Ha?" She turned to her husband who was stuffing his face with enormous amounts of menudo. "Tonyo!"

"Enyo," he spoke with his mouth full. "Shienama neyo nia anman eyko."

Her brows curled in confusion. "Ha?"

He held up his hand, swallowing his food and then drinking large amounts of water. "Ang sabi ko, dinamay mo na naman ako. Hindi ko alam iyang pinagsasabi mo. Kumakain lang ako dito oh."

"Weh? 'Di nga?" His wife countered.

"Oo nga! Halikan kita diyan eh."

Maine blushed and averted her eyes. Honestly, they still acted like they were teenagers. It was a far cry from the way her grandmother Lyn acted towards her husband. Yes, they are very much in love with each other. It's just that they didn't act as affectionate as the couple in front of her.

"Iyan ka na naman! Respeto naman kay Menggay no!" She slapped his arm. "Alam mo, kung nandito lang si Rica—"

Tonyo's eyes widened before gazing frantically at her. Maine forced herself to act oblivious. They were always like this. For the past year, she noticed that either of them will start saying something and then abruptly stop without telling her why. Are they walking on eggshells because of her? Why? What were they hiding from her? Don't they trust her to keep a secret?

Lena gave out a nervous laughter. "Kain na nga lang tayo. Kung anu-ano iyung lumalabas sa bibig ko."

Maine nodded before taking a sip of her drink. One of these days, she's going to confront them and ask them to tell her why they kept on doing this whenever they're in front of her.

"Gusto mo bang iba ang lumabas sa bibig mo?"

Not expecting Tonyo's remark, Maine choked and then sprayed out her drink...at Tonyo.

"Ay jusko!"

"Sorry!" Maine quickly wiped her mouth before going to the other side of the table. She had a box of table tissues on one hand. "Ito oh. Pasensya na po talaga, 'Tay Tonyo. Iyung mga hirit niyo po kasi!"

At the other side of him, Lena was trying to hold back her laughter. "Ayan kasi! Ang tanda tanda mo na, Tonyo! Kaunting kahihiyan naman."

"Ewan ko sa iyo! Outside the kulambo ako mamaya."

"Sige. Sabi mo iyan ha? Dun ka matulog sa garahe!"

Tonyo instantly stood up, standing beside Lena. "Ito naman! Hindi na mabiro. Labs! Sorry na!"

"Bahala ka sa buhay mo!" Lena crossed her arms over her chest though Maine could see that she was smiling. "Ang dami mong ano eh."

"Ano? Gusto mo ba ng ano?"

In spite herself, Maine smiled. It seemed like they had forgotten she was in the room again. She couldn't help but feel a twinge of envy. This was the kind of life that she dreamed of having, the kind of parents she wanted for herself. Simple but happy. Ordinary but exciting. It was definitely a far cry from the life she had. She then began to wonder...would she ever have a life like this? Would she ever find someone who would make her smile like the two people in front of her?