Chapter 7

Hours passed and there's still no sign of RJ. Maine had been sitting on her bed, waiting for him to show up. She needed to see him. Even if it's the last time they'll be able to do so.

All of a sudden, she saw a man step out of the mirror from the corner of her eye. She immediately turned, seeking RJ's eyes. She was taken aback when she noticed that he seemed to be studying her as well.

"I'm sorry," they both said at the same time.

Maine stood up and crossed her arms over her chest. "I was waiting for you."

"I know." RJ smiled though it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Well, I'm glad you're here."

RJ titled his head. "Why? Do you need anything? I mean, it's the least I could do right?"

"I need a favor."

"What is it?" RJ directed a questioning gaze at her.

"I need you to do something for me. You can consider it a parting gift if you want to."

The pang of guilt hit him like a sucker punch to the gut. He shouldn't feel that way. He knew that it would come to this when he made his choice.

He pretended to think for a moment. "Of course. What is it?"

She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. She couldn't panic right now.

"I have a theory and I'd like to test it. Will you let me do that?"

RJ quirked an eyebrow at her. "What do you mean? What do you need me for?"

"Kailangan mo lang ipikit ang mga mata mo. It'll be quick I promise."

He hesitated. He wasn't sure if his captor would like this.

"Sige na naman oh! Kailangan ko pa bang magmakaawa? This is my last request, RJ," Maine looked him in the eye as if to stress her point.

He rubbed the back of his hand and then let out a groan of frustration. Finally, he complied with her request. "Hurry up and do whatever it is you're planning."

Maine immediately rushed towards him. "Naniniwala ka ba sa forever?"

He cracked one eye open. "Susmaryosep! Is this your so-called favor? Pwedeng iba na lang ang guluhin mo? Andiyan naman sina Je!"

"Sagutin mo na lang! Mamaya ka na magreklamo," she reprimanded him. "And close your eyes!"

RJ sighed. "Hindi. Next question."

"Naniniwala ka ba sa tadhana?"

There's a moment of silence before RJ said, "Oo." He wanted to tell her that he started doing so when he met her but he bit his tongue until he tasted blood. Now wasn't the time to falter. If he does, Maine would die. He couldn't give up now.

Maine nodded with a soft smile on her face. "Ako rin."

"Okay. Is that it? Can I open my eyes now?"

"Sandali lang!"

"Fine," he sighed. "Go ahead."

"Before you go, I want you to know that I understand why you did all of this," Maine began. "Alam ko na ginagawa mo ito dahil gusto mong maging safe at masaya ako."

RJ forced out a laugh. "Ano na naman ang sinasabi mo ngayon? I never said those things to you!"

Maine didn't respond. She just stared at him, pretending for a moment that their situation was normal. They would live in a world where they would meet in unexpected circumstances and fall in love the same way. It's the kind of place where they could live happily ever after, rarely experiencing loneliness and sadness. It's a place where they could be each other's family. It's a place that she'd call their home.