Chapter 6

Maine hasn't slept for two days. She didn't want to see him. She was scared shitless. She knew that she wouldn't be able to take it if RJ decides to reject her. She would have nothing left if that happens. So she stayed in her room. Doing anything and everything she could think of.

Suddenly, she noticed that her mirror shimmered. Instead of running away, she stood up and peered into it. Had it been her imagination? No. She knew exactly what she saw. She pressed her palm against it, carefully examining the mirror and then stopped when she noticed that she was surrounded by light.

She glanced around the room before looking back at the mirror. She froze when she realized that she could no longer see herself and her room in the mirror's reflection. It now showed RJ with his hands touching the glass in a room surrounded by darkness.

She took a step back, overcome with emotions. Everything in her screamed to talk to him and to ask him what was going on. But the only thing in her mind was the fact that...she missed him. She didn't see that the glass melted away and that RJ was no longer inside the mirror but inside her room.

"Menggay," He stared at her longingly. God, he missed her so much. He just didn't realize how much until she was standing right in front of him.

"Is this some sort of joke?"

"What are you talking about?"

He averted his eyes but she moved closer to him. "What is going on? Why did you appear in my dreams? How did you..." she swallowed. "How did you step out of the mirror?"

He stayed silent, unsure of what to say. He had an inkling that whatever information that he could tell her would never satisfy her curiousity. So he opted not to say a word in his defense.

"So? Ano ito? Hindi ka magsasalita? Hindi mo sasabihin sa akin ang totoo?"

He'd be a fool to tell her so he just shook his head again.

"RJ naman!" She yelled at him. "Akala ko ba mahal mo ako? Bakit ginagawa mo sa akin ito? May nagawa ba akong masama? May mali ba akong nasabi? Sabihin mo sa akin kasi hindi ko maintidihan. Ano? Joke lang ba ito?"

"Sa wakas, nahulaan mo na rin."

She swallowed hard. "What?"

"I've been faking it since then," he drawled. "I never asked you to love me. But when you told me that you did, I had no choice but to pretend that I loved you too. I guess I should say sorry."

"No. I don't believe you." She shook her head in disbelief. "I know you well enough to know that you're not that kind of person. Why are you lying?"

Stunned, RJ opened his mouth to speak then closed it. It was better for her to think that it was over, and that he never really had feelings for her.

"It's impossible," she insisted. "Everything felt so real, RJ. Why are you doing this to me? You even told me that you love me!"

Her words caught him off guard. It was true. Even now, he wanted to hold her in his arms. He wanted to tell her that he'll always love her and that everything will be alright. He wanted to admit that he's doing this for her. But he might as well kill her if he does.

"You haven't deluded yourself into thinking that, have you?"

And with that, RJ stepped into the mirror and disappeared. He didn't think he'll be able to leave her if he didn't leave now.

***

RJ still couldn't stay away from her though.

Each morning, he would visit her room while she was away. It was pathetic but it was the only way he'd get to see her again, or at least, to feel her presence. After they parted ways, he decided that it would be better for him not to show up in front her. It's not just because he wanted to keep her safe, but also to keep him sane. He didn't think that he could deny her again if she begs him to stay.