Chapter 8

RJ and Maine both gasped in shock.

"Hello! I'm backkkkkkkkkk!" RJ's captor gave a little wave and flopped onto Maine's bed. "Ang lambot pala ng higaan mo! In fairness lang. Maglalagay ako ng ganito sa kwarto ko. Or maybe, I'll take this one. Hindi mo na naman ito kakailanganin."

RJ moved to stand protectively in front of Maine. "What do you want?"

His captor narrowed his eyes at him. "You know exactly what I want, RJ. Now, the question is, why are you stopping her? I thought we already talked about this? Do you need a reminder or an example?"

It was said so casually that a bystander would think that it was a joke or an empty threat. But RJ knew that it was anything but that. He had to do something before things turn to worse.

"NO!" RJ immediately looked at Maine who was surprisingly quiet. Instead of hurling insults and questions at his captor, she was studying him carefully.

"Menggay?"

She went to stand beside RJ. "Kilala kita."

"Talaga ba? Pray tell, how did we meet?" He crossed his leg over the other. "Remember that you'll die the moment you give me the wrong answer."

"You were my grandmother's doctor."

His captor nodded. "Uhuh. Don't you think she looks great in a casket?"

Maine dug her heels into the ground to stop herself from hurling herself at him. "You were also my aunt's first husband," she continued speaking. "And my mother's doctor, right?"

"Yes, I was all of that! Good job, you guessed it right!" His captor said, clapping his hands enthusiastically "I should give you something as a prize but you'll die soon so it's a moot point. Maybe next time eh?"

She clenched her fists in anger. "Is that what you did to them? Did you kill my mother and grandmother? Did you turn my family against me?"

"Well, maybe," his captor said before laughing maniacally. "Sorry but, I don't remember the faces of people that I've killed. Besides, it's a moot point! Susunod na kayo sa kanila!"

"Why did you do that? They've done nothing wrong! You didn't need to take out your anger on them."

"Oh I wouldn't be too sure about that. Your grandmother was supposed to be my prisoner but the lovesick fool beside you decided to play hero. So here we are."

His captor straightened himself. "I'm not like Princess Elsa, you see. I can't just let it go. So I had to do something. Your mother was my second choice but she died too soon and I was sure that RJ wouldn't fall for her. She wasn't much of a looker if you catch my drift."

RJ glared daggers at him. "What did you do? I know you wouldn't stop at that."

"I did you a favor, boy! I simply made sure that Maine's grandmother would die the same time she would be born," His captor went towards the mirror. "And then I swapped their souls and made sure that her family would hate her the moment she was born. It was so eassyyyyy. I didn't even break a sweat."

"You did all of these just to make sure that both of us will never have what we wanted," Maine commented. "To prove that we can never be together?

"Bingo! I won't prolong your death because of that, dear."

"What happens now?" RJ asked him. "Are you going to kill the two of us at the same time?"

"Don't be so crass, boy! Your friends will go first and you'll be the last one to die."

His words sent a chill down their spine. What if he decides to kill me first? Maine told herself. She should have asked for help instead of trying to sacrifice her life. She turned and looked at the mirror in front of them, reminding her of what she was planning.