Chapter 6.

Within the following few days we were given the detailed information about this declamation competition. It was called "The Talent of the Multitude Hunt". It was an inter- college competition which was to going to continue for 3 consecutive days. It was sponsored by very renowned companies and was considered one of the top events. The venue was one of the reputed colleges but was situated in another nearby city. Other students of our college were also selected for various other competitions.

The day we had shown our English teacher our final writing of the declamation, her expression and joy was worth noticing. We were left biting your nails as she went through the paper with her eyes shifting from one line to another. Finally she had lifted her face to show us a broad grin. Her eyes were filled with a new sort of hope. Removing her glasses, she had said,

"I knew I was right in choosing you both. I wont change a single word of this. I have full confidence in you both. Just give your best and I know this time our college is going to win!" and handed the papers back.

All these had excited me in the same amount as much they had tensed me. The tension was evident on Radhika's face. Working on this declamation had made us good friends and me less creepy while I was around her. We had often bunked classes together and ended up in cafeteria discussing the declamation along with some chit-chat.

Just before the day of the competition, I had spent hours thanking people who had taken the pain to come and wish us luck. Tired of the chaos, I remained in our class that lunch break. Karan spotted me while leaving the class but came over to accompany me. With this declamation approaching, I had not been able to interact much with him.

He sat beside me and sang in a melancholy tone, " bhula denge tumko sanam dhere dhere... ( will also try to forget you, my friend)"

"Sorry yaar! You know I am not much into these stuff and I am having to work with Radhika. Its consuming the whole lot of my energy. Kahan wo humari music ki duniya aur kahan ye English ke chakar me hum phas gaye! (Where is that world of music to which I belong and where I am stuck with this English stuff!)"

" Exactly dude! Its not that I think you are bad at this declamation after hearing English mam's praise but why don't you take part in the singing competition? Like I heard they have the category and I am pretty sure you would rock the stage if you take part!"

"THERE IS CATEGORY FOR SONG! Uumm.. but its too late now! I can't back out at this point of time. Moreover, some other guy must have applied for song from our college na?"

"BRO! Atleast go and check things out. Try to convince the teachers in charge!"

"Okay. Yeah. I will go now. Lets hope I get to do this!"

******

Next day

I reached college on time. I saw the mini-bus ready and parked in the campus that was supposed to carry us to our destination. My eyes were still burning. I had to stay back at college the previous day and had begged and requested almost every teacher in charge to do something about the song. They hadn't got any guy for the particular event but sending my name for the event at such a late time was a hard task. The conclusion was they would inform on the spot if I would be allowed or not. I had still prepared myself. I went into the bus to first keep my guitar before anyone asks about it. If I won't be allowed I would become a joker, carrying guitar and stuff.

I peeped through the bus window and say all the teachers standing down and wishing luck to all the students. I had learnt that our college hadn't ever won and our English teacher was extra expectant this year. As I felt a new shiver of nervousness run down my spine, I decided not to get out of the bus and occupied a corner seat. About 20 minutes later, the other students and the teachers who would accompany us come into the bus. Out of habit, my eyes easily spotted her out.

Radhika had tied her long hair into a tight pony tail. She looked breath-taking in that white top and denim jeans. Her face didn't show even a pinch of nervousness. I tried catching my breath and looked out of the window.

"Hey!" she said as she sat beside me.

"Hii..." I said as her girly perfume filled my nostrils, tempting me to escape into another new world.

"So? All set for the day?"

"Umm... yeah, maybe"

"Hmm. I am actually getting this very positive feeling about us. So, chill. My institutions always prove to be right."

"Do they?"

"Yeah. Usually."

"Okay madam. I will give comfort to my heart with these institutions of yours."

"Sure, sir" and she giggled. I could have bet she was the most beautiful creation of God at that point.

"You just don't have any idea how much I am excited about this."

"And why exactly are you so excited? This whole affair makes me nervous to my nerves and you are excited."

"Dude, the competition is a part of this whole trip. But trust me, its gonna be a lot more fun. We would get to interact with all those students of all the colleges, make friends, and enjoy ourselves. Moreover, the seniors usually arrange an unofficial ball on the last day. It would OBVIOUSLY be fun. And as I said, I am having this feeling that we will be winning which would be the cherry on this wonderful cake!"

"Oh wow! But I never knew about this ball." Though I was just freaked out hearing about the ball, I tried acting nonchalant. The main thing was, I would never enjoy dancing with any other girl and I won't have the guts to ask Radhika, EVER!

"I wonder how you don't. It was a gossip in our college and there was this-" she was interrupted mid-sentence by the girl behind us. I turned to look out of the window as she continued to chat with the other girl.

Our bus was zooming past the green fields and then took the spiral path up the hill. Yes, the venue was comparatively at a higher altitude because of which Ammi had made me carry some of my winter garments. My thoughts were running through my head with almost the same speed as that of the bus. Only if I could go the ball with Radhika... I planned and plotted a lot in my head and by the time we reached our spot the only thing I concluded was that I should rather pretend to be ill and not go to the ball...

We were allowed inside after the security check and our bus stopped in front of the main building. We were soon informed that on the demand of the students, we would be camping outside for the three nights (I thanked ammi for the winter clothes). We were lead to a hall which had the food counter and all other arrangements for refreshment. One of the person from the authority informed that they would be organizing an inauguration ceremony in the evening and we were to take rest till then and make ourselves comfortable.

Once we had helped ourselves to some snacks and drinks, I went upto one of our teacher to remind him about registering me as the participant for the song competition also. He, for some reason, seemed reluctant but then agreed to try again and request the authorities. As I saw him walk upto the authorities, I began begging to God...

A/N:

:( :( :(
Really very sorry for such a huuuuuge delay. I am trapped with the boards lurking over my head. But hey! They would have a ball (aaaaaahhhhh)!!! Hehehe. Lots to come. Do read and COMMENT!

#Sam&Satyadeep