Chapter 9.

"Sirji"

       No response.

       "Sirji", Vikash, the constable called again. This time he got Veer's response.

       "Yes?"

       "Sir Ji, Aapke Ghar se phone aya hai (call had come from your house)."

       "I will hear you tomorrow " Veer parted .
Striding through the rusty corridors of the cell , Veer reached the exit gate . The deafening screeches , the nerve thrilling screams , the loud pangs at one side and the dulcet of the birds at the other  . Standing outside the jail , Veer could see how  a  wall could separate a heaven from a hell ,a  bliss from a misery . We humans are but a frail creation of god yet we could separate two different worlds , the world of  ecstasy from the world of consuming darkness. The sky had begun to bleed and smokes curled up above the distant dwellings. This is the time for my departure  . As Veer drove through the deserted lanes back to home , Veer could not forget that sombre face . How could his benevolence allow him to  commit such a henious crime . His manners spoke of his decent upbringing , which at any cost would not have let him do what he has done . Then what led him into committing such grievious sins .

       Veer was lost in his world of thoughts unless the driver said, "Sir, we reached home."

       "You look so tired dear . Is everything all right."

       "I m fine honey . I am going to sleep ". Veer sat on his armchair , bewildered by Adheer . His presence behind the bars had taken me aback . A man of the armed forces doesnot deserve a place like that .

                     *****

       "Days had passed, bonds had grown stronger, but our celebration had not ended. The next day at the school, Radhika insisted me to come over to her place to celebrate our win. She told me that even her dad wanted me to come over. I didn’t give it a thought and agreed right away." Adheer continued the next day when Veer showed up in his cell again.

       After the school, me and Radhu stopped near a food vendor's cart as we both were on empty stomachs. We asked for two Kaladi Kulchas, the king of street foods in Jammu. Kaladi is an extremely soft cheese and elastic yet dense and spellbindingly tasty. It beats mozzarella cheese by miles. I can swear by the Kaladi Kulcha and can fight with anybody for its superiority over other street foods anywhere else in India.

       The guy was a 'Kulcha Artist’, the way he was dishing out Kaladis and putting them in warm circular breads (Kulchas) along with some chopped onions. He served us them in two paper plates with the delicious green chutney of mint. We both stuffed our stomachs and carried on to her home.

       "What kind of a girl do you want?" Radhika asked, looking at me with her big eyes when we were at her room.

       "What kind of question is this Miss dumb head?"

       "We are best friends na, so I should know that. Come on, speak up."

       "That's so stupid" I said to button up the topic.

       "Bataaa (Speak) ! Tujhe meri kaam (my promise) " she said.

       "Naa bataun to ( if I don't say then) ?” I provoked her.

       "To I would die! kasam di hai na"

       "Chup kar! Ye kya logic hai! (Shut up. What sick logic is this?) " I said

       "Kasam Logic. You can’t lie or break a kasam. If you do so, the person would die." She said with all her innocence.

       The words '..to I would die' shook me down my stomach , even when I knew that was moronic. I hadn't realized how much important her existence had become for me.