Chapter 8.

That night I found myself to be the centre of attraction around the born-fire. The teachers were so happy with us winning two first prizes that they had organised a huge camp fire near the boy's camp. Yesh! TWO FIRST PRIZES- one for our debate and the other for my song. I had found myself wrapped up in Radhika's arms after I had stepped down from the stage- she screamed near my ears,

       "OMG! YOU ACTUALLY SANG A DDLJ SONG!"

       She had been more excited than me about the result declaration of the song competition. Hearing my name in the first place, she jumped sky high and my day was made seeing the sparkle in her eyes and that wide grin. Since then, she told each and every person she came across about my win. My chest kept swelling, till it could have swollen no more.

       The camp fire was a real fun. Everybody was dancing and singing, couples were romancing, others were hooting at them. I was requested to once more sing the song (especially by Radhika) as most of them had not attended the performance. In the middle, the topic about the ball was taken up by some idiot. I had completely forgot about that until they started discussing about it. I tried my best to stay out of the discussion. Though I was successful in that, conflicts had started in my mind. I really wanted to go with Radhika (only) but didn't have the slightest of gut to ask her. I kept debating till I noticed that it was time for the night to come to an end. By the time I was brought back to reality, I saw the girls being led away by their teachers. A call for Radhika was issued from my brain but got caught somewhere in between my throat.

       'Idiot! I don't even have the guts to call out to her. Ball pe ghanta leke jaunga ( How am I supposed to take her to the ball).' I scolded myself mentally.

       Just when I was about to leave for my tent, I saw Radhika coming back.

       "Hey! Did I drop my scarp somewhere here?" she said and started looking around. "Oh! There it is. Why are you still out here? It pretty cold. Just  go and jump into those cozy blankets!"

       "Umm.. Radhika, I was just wondering... would you.. I mean... like.. would you like to go with me to the ball tomorrow?"

'OH SHIT! Why did I say that!'

       "Acha? How dare you ask me that!" Radhika said coldly.

'I AM SO DOOMED!!!!! Why why why!'I winced.

       But the next thing I saw was Radhika chuckling. Phew! She acts so well!

       "I act too well, I know. And I don't see any particular reason why I can't go with you. Unless I would want to stay away from a group of girls who would have fallen in love with you after today's performance and would give me killer looks."

       "Hahaha! Nonsense. Nothing like that is going to happen."

       "Okay then. See you tomorrow. Goodnight."

       "Yeah sure. Goodnight." And she hurried back to join her friends.

       What a day! I wondered and went back into my tent.

                    *****

       The following day was still more challenging. I wasn't even a cent prepared for this ball- nor clothes, nor any knowledge about it. Completely clueless about the whole affair. But then it was as if destiny wanted to help me. I went out for breakfast with my friends. Over the trip I had made some good friends. One of them was Praveen, the person who turned out to be my God that day. As we were headed back to camp, Praveen asked

       "So? You going for the ball?"

       "Umm... yeah, I guess"

       "With?"