17 - Dinner

Muffled voices brought Alex out of her sleep. She reached out looking for the warmth of Luke but was only met with the cold sheets of the bed. No body heat lingering, he has been gone for a while she thought. Alex left out a sigh and slowly managed to get out of the bed. Luke's shirt dangled at the top of her thigh.

She waddled to the bathroom but just as she passed the walk in wardrobes the voices were at their loudest, she stopped and listened.
"For fuck sake Zach, will you stop throwing the hammer around you're going to hurt someone"
"Guys we're missing two screws"
"Oh well screw you"
"Well done Zach, how long did that one take you" Alex recognised Luke's sarcastic tone and muffled her laughter as she kept listening.
"We've been at this agggggggges, when can we get food?"
"Zach you joined us about five minutes ago" Aaron's voice was cold as his patience wore thin.
"I'm still hurt that you two didn't ask me for my help. I mean, am I not good enough? I thought we had a good relationship. I thought we were brothers."
"Zach I swear to god I am going to shove this wooden bar up your ass if you wake Alex up. You were not invited because you make a lot of noise, you have the attention span of a nit and you love to complain. It has been the longest five minutes of my life and if you do not help or disappear in the next 10 seconds I will make you move out and keep your mate here."
Alex heard a loud gasp after Luke's speech, "you wouldn't dare"
"Try me"

Alex had heard enough, she sensed tensions getting a little high so she decided to open the door. The scene in front of her made her heart melt. The walk-in wardrobe had been gutted. All that remained were the shelves along one wall.

Her clothes and shoes had been replaced with a baby changing table, a rug, a chair and three men sitting on the floor trying to construct what looked like a crib

"Oh princess you're awake. It's uh it's not finished but I hope you like it." Luke was extremely nervous. He had designed this room from scratch. He poured his heart and soul into this, he wanted nothing but the best for his baby and Alex's opinion meant a lot to him. He anxiously awaited an answer.

Tears began to well up in her eyes as she looked around. Luke looked so happy, he had put so much effort into this, he was excited to be a dad. She wiped away her tears and nodded her head. Smiling she mumbled "I love it."

Luke looked so relieved, "you alright?"
Zach and Aaron watched in awe at the strongest woman they have ever met wept at the sight of a nursery.
She nodded and laughed, "yeah just hormones, I'm going to make breakfast. Anyone want some?"
The three of them got off the floor and ran to the kitchen, leaving Alex in their tracks.

Eventually Alex joined them in the kitchen and began to cook up a feast.
"Uh you know there's just four of us." Zach asked completely shocked by the amount of food she put on the table.
"Five"
"What?" He was now utterly confused as he began to recount. He didn't understand until his eyes landed on Alex again after counting four people and seeing her with her hand on her stomach.
"Five" she laughed and he nodded his head in understanding.