Chapter 4

I followed Toriel into the house. It was small, but very tidy and nice. It felt like home. There was a strong scent of cinnamon in the air, along with a smell I couldn't quite place.

"Do you smell that?" Toriel asked. I sniffed the air and nodded. "Surprise! It's a butterscotch-cinnamon pie! I thought we might celebrate your arrival. Come! I have another surprise."

I grinned as she led me down a yellow hallway and in front of a brown door. "It's a room of your own! I hope you like it," she ruffled my hair lovingly before freezing in place. I noticed what was wrong. Rather than the pleasant smell of pie, the air was filled with the odor of burnt butterscotch.

"Is something burning?" Toriel wondered aloud. "Um, make yourself at home!" She rushed off to the kitchen. I opened the door to "my" room. It was nice. There was a bed, a box of toys, a closet, and even a shoe box. Overall, it didn't seem like a bad place to live... But I knew I couldn't stay. I needed to get back home, to my real home. Whatever it may be. I walked over to the bed, laid down on it, and without even bothering to take off my shoes, fell asleep instantly.

-----------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up, I was surprised to find my shoes removed, the blankets tucked in around me, and the lights off. I pushed off the covers and stretched. I hadn't been asleep long, an hour at most, but it felt like much longer. I walked over to the light switch and turned it on. When I turned around, I noticed a slice of pie along with an empty backpack and a plastic bag. I put the pie inside the bag for later, grabbed the backpack and left the room.

Toriel was sitting in the living room next to a warm fire, a book in her hands. She seemed to be giggling at the book; it was probably filled with jokes. I walked up and tugged at her sleeve.

"Up so soon? I hope you had a nice rest."

I nodded, but didn't let go of her arm.

"What is it?" She asked.

I took a deep breath. "When can I go home?" I asked. Toriel froze in place.

"What? This - this is your home now!" She frantically tried to change the subject. "Do you want to hear a joke from this book I am reading? Or I can give you and exciting snail fact. Would you like that?"

I ignored her question. "Toriel, how do I leave the ruins?"

Toriel set the book down on the chair. "I have to do something. Wait here." She left the room.

I did not wait there. Instead I followed Toriel out of the room and down the flight of stairs leading to the basement. Except it wasn't a basement. Instead there was a long narrow passageway leading to a large purple door. Toriel stood in front of it, back towards me.

"This is the entrance to the rest of the underground," she said softly, "Nobody who enters ever comes back. I am going to destroy it. No one will ever be able to leave again."

I stared at her. "What?" I said incredulously. "You can't do that! I need to leave! I'm sorry!"

Toriel turned around with a blank expression on her face. "That is why I'm going to stop you before you do."

I gasped as my soul appeared in front of me and the fight began. "T-Toriel?" I said, trying to make sense of what was happening. "What are you doing?"

"Ever since I found you and saved you from that flower, you have felt like a child to me. Now I'm being a good mother and saving you from danger. Please, go back up to your room."

Attacks were flying everywhere. Massive flames were shot at my soul so fast I could barely dodge. My HP was going down fast. I couldn't think of anything to say the get out of this.

"I am only trying to protect you," Toriel said, "Please, do as I say."

I shook my head and braced for another storm of attacks. A few hit my soul and I was weakened even further.

"Please, Toriel. I don't want to fight you." I said. Her expression softened for a moment.

"Then go back upstairs."

A well placed attack brought my soul down to 2 HP. I shut my eyes, waiting for another attack to hit, but nothing did. Toriel was still sending attacks, but none were making contact. In fact they seemed to be intentionally avoiding me.

"Please, go upstairs." Toriel seemed to be on the verge of tears. "I know we do not have much, but we can have a good life here. I can teach you. We can be happy." She smiled a little.

I bit my lip. All she wanted was to be happy...

"But you won't be happy here, will you?" Toriel said. I looked up at her. "No, you cannot stay here. The ruins are very small once you get used to them. You would be unhappy trapped down here." She smiled at me. "If you truly wish to leave the ruins, I will not stop you. But, if you leave, you cannot come back."

I ran up and gave her a hug. "I'll miss you," I said.

She smiled. "Goodbye, my child."

And with that, I walked through the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The door closed behind me with bang. I jumped from the loud noise and began to walk away. Before I got very far, I was greeted by somebody way too familiar.

"Clever... Verrryyy clever."

I groaned. Flowey was smiling creepily at me from the other side of a very dark room.

"You decided to spare her didn't you? I told you before, and I will tell you again. In this world, it's kill or be killed. You can't save everybody, you know. And soon," He grinned, "the reality of that statement will catch up to you."

I clenched my fists and shook my head.

Flowey laughed. "I warned you."

And with that, he was gone. I sighed. This was going to be a rough journey.