A New Soul

Chara watched.

Watched, as the human finally, finally, defeated Sans. Watched, as they continued down through the hall that would lead them to the King. That would lead them to freedom.

Or so they thought.

Had Chara existed, they would have stopped them. They would have made sure they didn't kill him.

But they couldn't.

They could only watch as the human killed both their father and their best friend.

Chara wanted to yell. Wanted to scream into the abyss
THAT'S MY DAD YOU PATHETIC PEST!

But nothing happened.

Chara groaned in frustration. The human would be here any moment. Then, they would pay.

Sure enough, the human appeared in front of Chara. They were confused. Confused as to why they were in an empty void. Why they weren't living happily on the surface.

Things don't always work out the way you plan them.

Chara smiled coldly at them.

"Greetings, I am Chara."

The human glared and reached for their weapon. They had nothing.

You have no power here. There is nothing left for you.

Chara knew what needed to be said. They could feel it. Embedded into their code, a conversation. Lines that were to be used specifically for this situation.

No

This needed something... different.

"So you've finally made it. You've reached the end. All that you've worked for has lead up to this moment."

The human continued to glare.

"You're confused. Why didn't you go back to the surface? Why didn't you get the happy ending? The freedom you think you deserve?"

Chara smiled as the human took a few steps back. No doubt this conversation was reminding them of the one they just had with Sans.

"Well, who am I to judge you on what you do or don't deserve?"

Chara could see the relief in their eyes.

"But I can help you. You can't escape now. Not without a monster's soul. I just ask for a small payment in return."

"You will give me your soul."

The human took several steps back, shaking their head violently.

"No?"

"Hm..."

"How curious."

"You must have misunderstood."

Chara could feel the human's soul. Could feel the power. The excitement of having a physical form.

"Since when were you the one in control?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally.

Finally they had done it.

They had a soul.

Chara grinned and reached down to pick up the human's soul.

But this soul didn't feel right.

There wasn't enough determination.

Chara threw the soul to the ground in disgust. Admittedly, they hadn't ever seen the human save. Or reset. And the fact that they managed to beat Sans first try was very impressive. (Even if it had taken twice as long)

No, this wouldn't work at all. Even if Chara did decide to take this soul, it would never be able to reach the surface. There simply wasn't enough power. The entire underground would have to be destroyed again for it to work.

Chara yelled in frustration. This soul wasn't right. It wasn't perfect.

...

But it was human.

How long will it be until an opportunity like this comes again? Possibly never. All that is needed is a soul. One soul, and I could return to my physical form. I could come back and wreak havoc on humanity. I will make this soul have determination. I will find a way to win.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been so long since they had felt this. So long since they had felt the satisfaction of having a soul. They could feel their own body. They had arms, legs, hands, feet, a head. They could go back.

However, the thing that most interested Chara about their appearance was the small, gold, heart shaped locket hanging from their neck. Engraved on it were the words Best Friends Forever.

A memory stirred in the back of Chara's mind. A memory of a time when things were more simple. More happy.

Chara shook their head. Now was not the time to get sentimental over things. Nothing was going to stop them from achieving their goal.

They were determined.