8- Shopping with Grandma

Chapter Eight:

Shopping with Grandma:

At the front of the class, the questions we were supposed to complete were written on the overhead. The teacher sat at his desk and pulled out a stack of papers, probably marking.

I rummaged through my bag for my textbook, finding it behind my math one. When I placed it on the desk I realized that there was now someone occupying Beth’s empty seat next to me. She was sick today.

“Look you’re watching the kids tonight,” Garrett said breezily.

“Yeah sure, whatever,” I muttered as I thumbed through my textbook. This was clearly School Garrett. He wouldn’t be the Brotherly Garrett with his friends sitting right there.

“Here,” Garrett whispered. Something fell into my lap and I looked down to see the socks Garrett had stolen the other night as well as my flash drive.

“You washed these right?” I asked as I deposited the socks and flash drive in my bag. I was just amazed that he was even giving them back at school.

“Yeah. And I copied over all the pictures last night,” he said.

“Wow that was fast,” I commented. “What made you do it so fast?”

“Well, pick up the kids after school,” Garrett said as he stood up and easily slipped back into School Garrett. He slapped the desk once before walking over to the corner where his friends were. I rolled my eyes at his back and went back to my science work.

“Sorry about earlier,” Garrett apologized as we were a couple minutes from school. I looked around. I had no idea how he caught up with me. He hadn’t been behind me a block ago. And now here he was right next to me.

“Where did you come from?” I asked him.

“You’re short,” he said pointedly looking down my body.

“And you’re insanely tall,” I shot back at him.

“Anyways, sorry about earlier…in science.” Garrett always apologized for being his alter ego. “But they were right there and I wanted to make sure it was okay for you to watch the kids.”

“Of course it’s fine,” I told him bumping my shoulder against his. “You should know that by now. And you could have just texted me you know.”

Garrett smiled sheepishly. “I forgot about that. And besides, I needed to give you back your stuff.”

I shrugged. “So why do I need to watch the kids tonight anyways? What about your grandmother?”

Garrett groaned and rolled his eyes. “We’re going shopping,” he said in disgust.

I squealed in delight. “Oh that’s just cute! You’re going shopping with your grandmother!”

“Oh shut up!” Garrett said smacking the back of my head lightly. I just stuck my tongue out at him and he scowled back at me.

“So why do you have to go shopping?” I asked him.

Garrett shifted slightly. “Grandma wants to buy me clothes so ‘I look acceptable for the pretty young ladies’,” he muttered.

I laughed. “Just tell her that you already have Quinn drooling over you, you don’t need anything new.”

“I am not telling her about Quinn! She would be forcing me to ask her out and she wouldn’t rest until I actually did!”

“That’s not so bad…”