43- Late Night Jibber- Jabber

Chapter Forty Three:

Late Night Jibber- Jabber:

I put the last of my stuff away in my drawers and then looked around my room. My room looked a lot better than the last time I had been in here. There was no longer a large piece of plywood duct taped to the wall, the last of the broken glass had been cleaned up and everything that had been ruined had been thrown away. Plus there was now a brand new window.

The glass people had just left twenty minutes ago, and Alice was still over at the Connors’, so I had the house to myself. Kyle had helped me (against his will) to move all my stuff over, so I could just hang out and relax now without having to worry about anything.

It felt almost strange to be alone, I was used to being at school, and then at the Connors’ with all the siblings. It felt nice to be alone, but it was still strange.

I tried to come up with something to do, and as I was thinking I ended up sitting on my bed. As weird as it is, as soon as I was seated on it, I realized home much I had missed sleeping in my own bed.

I decided to sleep, might as well; I had nothing better to do anyways.

When I woke up a couple of hours later, I could hear my family moving around downstairs. It felt like I hadn’t properly seen them in days, so I was eager to get down to them.

I got out of bed quickly, grabbed my crutches, fixed my hair, and then made my way down to my family.

“Bridget!” Mom exclaimed. She was the first one to spot me when I entered the kitchen.

She strode towards me quickly and wrapped her arms around me, ignoring the crutches. “Oh it’s so good to have you home sweetie,” she said, rocking me slightly in the embrace.

“Yeah,” I agreed, “it’s nice to be home.”

Mom released me and stepped back so she could look at me clearly. “I’m so sorry you had to deal with all of that,” she said sincerely.

I gave her a smile. “It’s not like it was your fault, none of us could control it.”

“I know,” Mom said with a small frown. “But I still feel bad that you had to move out.”

“I didn’t move far, just across the street,” I said with a shrug.

“I know but-”

“Penny, I think she gets it,” Dad said with a chuckle from across the room. I smiled gratefully at him.

“Oh, okay,” Mom said with a sheepish smile. “Let me go grab Alice and then we can start dinner!”

I nodded and crutched my way to my seat to sit down. Dad did the same.

“So no problem with the window guys?” Dad asked me.

“Nope. They came, put the window in and left.”

“Oh good,” Dad said with a nod.  

Mom came back into the room then with Alice under her arm. Alice’s eyes were bloodshot and there was a frown painted on her face. She sat down silently in her seat across from me.

“Cutie, are you okay?” I asked her.

Alice stared down into her empty plate.

“Alice?” I asked again. “Are you okay?”

Still staring down into her plate, Alice shook her head the slightest bit. I looked over at Mom and she sighed.

“Just leave her alone, alright Bridget?” Mom said sadly. “She’ll tell us when she’s ready.” That meant Mom didn’t know why Alice was upset either; it wasn’t just me being left out.