11- Fall Picnics

I wrote this the same day my friend Brodie spent a whole block complaining about playing COD half screen, so thats where the random part in the middle comes from.

Chapter Eleven:

Fall Picnics:

When I woke up the next morning, I realized I was up because something had woken me up. The thing that tipped me off is that my phone was vibrating like crazy against the glass of cup I had on my bedside table.

It wasn’t super early, it was after nine thirty, but still, I would prefer not being woken up.

I snatched my phone up from the table and checked why it was vibrating. I had twelve new messages and 4 missed calls. They were all from Garrett. All of his texts said something along the lines of ‘wake up’.

“What do you want?” I said as soon as he picked up. I flopped back onto my pillow and my hand landed on my forehead, I was too lazy to move it so I left it there.

“Good morning to you too Pigtails,” Garrett said sarcastically.

“Just get to the point,” I demanded.

“Wow, you’re grouchy. I thought you were a morning person?” Garrett said ignoring me completely.

“I am. I just don’t like being woken up. Talk or I hang up,” I warned him.

“My grandma is gone!” Garrett cheered.

“That’s it? Really?” I asked.

“Sorry, but all my other friends won't get up until noon. I had to tell someone.”

“Yeah, it’s not noon yet. Why are you up?”

“Mom made all of us get up at like seven to say goodbye to grandma,” Garrett explained.

“Lucky you,” I commented. “You were up early yesterday too.”

“I know! It’s terrible.”

“You don’t sound like it is,” I observed. He sounded pretty perky right now.

“You don’t even want to know how much coffee I’ve had this morning,” Garrett said somberly.

“No I probably don’t.”

“Pigtails, get your butt out of bed and get over to my house,” Garrett commanded.

“Um, why?” I asked swinging my legs out of bed. I went over to my dresser and started to look for something to wear today.

“Because I promised Maddy that we would do anything she wanted once grandma left. And she told me earlier that she wants a picnic.”

“Uh, does she know that it’s October?”

“Yeah, but it’s surprisingly warm outside today. Please come? Maddy wants Alice, and it would be cool if you came too.”

I couldn’t say no when he was being sweet like that. “Yeah sure, when?”

“Whenever you can get your butt over here,” Garrett said.

“Do you want me to bring anything over?”

“Nah, Mom’s making sandwiches and cookies and Maddy is having fun collecting pillows and blankets and stuff to lay down outside.”

“You sure?” I was greeted with silence and I took that as a yes. “’Kay we’ll be over in like an hour.”

“If you’re not, I’m dragging you over here myself.”

“And you said I was grouchy,” I muttered.

“What?”

“Nothing,” I said innocently. “See ya in a bit,” I told him.