28- The Truth Hurts More

Chapter Twenty Nine:

The Truth Hurts More:

“Garrett will be helping you around today,” Dad informed me.

“Why? I’m fine on my own,” I said. I had no clue what Garrett would be like today, last night he was a little bit of everything. One moment he was mad at me, the next he looked extremely guilty. I just didn’t understand. If he was going to be as moody today, I didn’t want to be stuck with him.

“Bridget, I don’t want you getting trampled or anything in the hallways. It’ll just be for a few days until you are completely comfortable on the crutches,” Dad said. Today was Friday, so hopefully I would be good enough with crutches by Monday that they won't make Garrett help me then.

“Fine,” I said, even though I didn’t have a choice in the matter.

“Good, he’ll be here in a couple of minutes, he’s walking to school with you too.” Of course he would be.

“Bridget, I can give you a ride to school,” Mom offered as she came into the kitchen.

I thought about it for a second. If I accepted the ride, I wouldn’t have to walk and I would only be with Garrett a few minutes. But I wouldn’t get the practice using my crutches and I wanted practice if I didn’t want Garrett following me around come Monday.

“No, I think I’ll walk,” I said finally.

“Are you sure? It’s not a big deal to drive you,” Mom assured me.

“I know but I…want to practice using these before school,” I said nodding down to my crutches. I was leaning over them as I talked to my parents.

“Okay,” Mom said. She was studying me carefully over the rim of her coffee mug.

A knock sounded from the door and Dad put down his own mug to go and answer it.

“Morning Rob,” I heard Garrett say. He sounded sleepy and slightly scared. Scared of my dad maybe?

“Why Garrett?” I hissed to Mom.

Mom shrugged. “Who else was I supposed to ask Bridget? Garrett will actually help you.”

“Why are you so sure about that? I’m pretty sure he hates me.”

“He can’t,” Mom promised. “He’s been chasing you too long for that little kiss to matter so much.”

“But I-”

“Uh, ready to go?” Garrett asked sheepishly from the doorway.

“Sure,” I said quickly and innocently. I leaned one crutch against the table so I could pick up my school bag from one of the chairs. I positioned it so that it crossed my body. It wasn’t how I usually wore it, but it would be easier with the crutches. I picked up the other crutch again and then walked –hopped, shuffled, skipped?- over to Garrett.

“I could- never mind,” he said shaking his head. I stared at him blankly.

“Aren’t we leaving?” I probed.

“Oh yeah, right,” Garrett said sheepishly.

“Bye Mom,” I said as I passed her on my way out of the kitchen.

Once in the front hall, I slipped a boot (because it had no laces so I wouldn’t need to be asking people to help me tie my shoes for me) onto my right foot.

“Bye,” I said to Dad. He said bye back and then glared at Garrett. I guess Dad wasn’t too happy with this arrangement either despite what he wanted me to believe.