Chapter 1 - The Secrets We Keep

Ryan's POV

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was the bright sunlight streaming into my face. It felt like the sun had decided to shoot a fireball at me for shits and gigs. I mentally cursed the sun, and my window shade for not doing the job which I specifically bought it to do. I opened my eyes slowly, quickly surveying the room around me. I had expected to see my bedroom, but I was startled to see the obvious elements of a hotel room surrounding me. The bedroom was large and from this angle I could see half of the room, the white and gold fixtures and furniture drawing my attention.

The memory of going to a hotel late last night slowly came back to me and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. To stop my poor self from overheating I rolled over and jumped when I hit something. I laughed when I realised that, no, it was not some creeper in my bed, but just Max, my boyfriend.

I leant up on my arm and surveyed the man next to me, my hungry eyes roaming his body. The thick white blanket was covering him from the waist down, his tanned chest on full show, I assumed that his shirt, along with mine were somewhere in the room, thrown in haste sometime last night. One arm was by his side, the other, the one closest to me, was under his head, cradling his dark shaggy hair. He looked so much younger than his twenty-three years like this. I leant over and placed a small kiss by his mouth and reached over him to look at my phone.

It was only seven in the morning, and I instantly forgave that evil sun for waking me up so early. I usually never got to spend the morning with Max, he usually had to leave way before I did, and since we couldn't exactly leave together anyways, he would always let me sleep.

I figured that I would allow him the same courtesy and let him sleep for a few more minutes, he would have to leave soon anyway. I rolled back to my side of the king bed, stretching my legs out. I noticed a flat screen television in the corner of the room and searched around for the remote.    

I finally found it and I turned on the television, rushing to turn the volume down before it could wake up Max. I cringed when I saw what was on, the show was a daily news program, which I usually enjoyed watching, but the dark handsome man who was talking was introducing the next segment, one that I did not enjoy watching.

'And next, we will be talking to Karly Grayson, our celebrity news correspondent and local celebrity news writer for the popular magazine, Hollywood Celebrities'  

I groaned and muted the television.

Karly Grayson.

The woman was a nightmare, just short of twenty five, she had been constantly harassing me for over a year, always wanting the next story, willing to do anything to advance in her field. A few months ago she scored a spot on this news program, and since then she has been pestering me even more, something I hadn't even known to be possible.

That evil woman was a snake, a snake I wanted to run over with my car, then back over a couple of times. You know, just to make sure that she was really dead.

I paused my thoughts of a murderous rampage when the screen changed to the woman, her short brown hair perfectly straightened and her big blue eyes highlighted by a small amount of eyeliner. Her pink lips started talking and so I turned up the volume slightly.

'Ryan Connors and Claudia Grey are still the hottest couple of the year, the celebrity couple were spotted last night at the premiere for Claudia's new movie, 'Sex and Love'.'

A picture appeared next to the woman. Two people were featured in the photo, standing on red carpet and their backs to a large promotional shot which featured the title 'Sex and Love'. The woman was Claudia Grey, her bleached blonde hair and tanned skin being emphasised by the dark, long dress she wore, a large strip cut up to her thigh. Her heels were black and tall, making her almost as tall as the man standing next to her. The man's short light brown hair seemed almost blonde in the lights of the cameras and his pale skin seemed less white and more tanned under those same lights. The man was wearing a dark suit and I recognised the suit jacket as the one hanging over the chair in the corner of the room I was in. I didn't like that jacket, it was too tight, but my stylist insisted that I looked mature and sexy, so I went with it.