Chapter 4 - Origins Of The Suspicions

Ryan POV

‘And what’s so wrong with that?’ She laughed, her bloodshot eyes staring into mine, challenging me. She wanted more information on my I hadn’t told her who my ‘mystery girlfriend’ was, but there was no way I was going to tell a pothead and my probably delusional fake girlfriend about Max so I just huffed and took a deep breath.

I decided that I wasn’t going to deal with this. I wasn’t her real boyfriend.

I got the phone attached to the wall and asked the housekeeper to get a trusted doctor to come see them. She complied and I looked over to make sure that they were both still breathing, and surprise Zach was fast asleep.

Probably dead.

Yeah, I’m going to say dead.

Seeing Zach reminded me of the conversation I had a few months ago with Karly Grayson which first made her suspicious of my relationship with Claudia.

*Four Months Ago*

I walked into the crowded club, the base of the music loud in my ears. I walked past the dancing people, taking a seat in the back, where it was moderately quiet.

All of my normal thoughts were pushed to the side as I waited impatiently, tapping my foot against the table leg every few seconds.  

I waited for a few minutes when a woman came over to me, long straight hair falling over her shoulders and a folder in her hand.

‘Mr Connors, I’m so glad you came.’

‘Well, when someone tells me that they have information I should know, it makes me curious,’ I told her, motioning for her to sit at the chair next to mine.

I had gotten a call that morning from a woman claiming to be a reporter with important information and photos I needed to see. When she told me that I instantly though that she had gotten her hands on photos of Max and I, freaking out, I told her a time and place, not telling anyone where I was going.

I hadn’t been able to think straight since that phone call.

‘I have some photos that I stopped from getting released today. I thought you deserved to see them before they are released.’

Her eyes were kind and I sensed that she was being genuine. It surprised me, this young woman actually cared, a woman who I had never met in my life.

She opened the folder and handed me a couple of photos that I definatley wasn’t expecting to see.

‘I’m so sorry,’ she told me, placing her hand on my arm.

I tried, I really did, but laughter escaped my mouth. She pulled her hand away harshly and looked at me with confused eyes.

The photos had nothing to do with Max and I, and all to do with Claudia and Zach. In the photos a very drunk looking Claudia, wearing the same dark blue dress she wore a week ago, was making out with Zach against a car, her hands threaded through his blond hair, and in the next photo they were getting into a car.

To the public, not only were we dating, but Claudia was clean and sober after winning her battle with addiction.

‘What’s funny about that?’ the woman asked and I handed the photos back to her, leaning forward and staring into her eyes, harshly saying the exact words which Robert had told me to say in this situation.

‘These photos get published, we will deny each and every one, say they were from a dark time in her life, and make you out to be the big bad reporter out to destroy our prefect relationship. Make the right choice,’ I stood up and walked away.