Chapter Three

A few weeks later, Caroline, John, and Patrick were cleaning Jackie's apartment. Caroline and Hayley were going through Jackie's huge walk-in closet that was full of clothes. Patrick was looking through picture albums. John was reading an article his mother wrote as the "Inquiring Camera Girl."
"How does a woman have so many clothes?" Hayley asked.
"I'm not sure how it's possible, but she has even more shoes," Caroline replied. "There's more in the back bedroom. Want to look?"
"Of course!" Hayley was excited, she had always loved shoes. The two, becoming closer by the minute, went to look through Jackie's shoes.
Hayley sat down on the floor amid all the shoe boxes. Boxes were stacked, four high in places. Her and Caroline began opening boxes a moving them aside. Caroline found a Reebok box and picked it up.
   "Why does she have Reebok's? If she had any type of running shoe, it was Nike," Caroline slowly opened the box. "KENNEDY ONES?!" She exclaimed.
   "You're kidding me?" Hayley turned to see them. Sure enough, red and white Reebok Kennedy One Lows; the best baseball cleats of all time. Caroline took them out to show Patrick while Hayley stayed and looked through more shoe boxes. As she was looking, she came across a shoebox that, written in Jackie's handwriting, said:

"To my children and their families: go on without me. -JBK"