Chapter one

(Past time)

It was two months ago when it all started. I was coming home from my best friend's birthday party, the sun had just set and the sky was a deep blue colour. As I walked through the front door and into the house. I called out, "Mum, Dad I'm home" as I knew they waited up for me.

Sure enough as I walked deeper into the house, I saw that the kitchen light was still on. I will never forget, what I saw when I walked through that door. My dad was sitting on the floor next to my mum, holding her torso up. At first I thought something had happened to my mother, which was, half true. Because my dad was ripping moms throat out; with his teeth. I screamed, and my dad's head swung around and  he snapped at me, watching me with his dull eyes, he had tried to lunge towards me, but by that time I had  snapped out of it. I jumped out the door, closed it and grabbed a chair and put it under the handle.

I reached for the phone and called 111 but the line was busy. The next thing I thought to do was ring Jemma ( my best and only friend)."Jemma what's happening?" I say with no emotion. "A-ad-addy? Turn on t-the tv" she answers me. So I look for the remote and flick the tv on "what channel" I ask. Her voice was barely a whisper when she said "all of them", and It was, every single one telling you to lock your doors; stay where you; are and don't try to reach loved ones.

Then the reporter on the tv said " These things are not your family and friends anymore, do not try to reason with them they will kill you. The only way to stop them, is to shoot them in the brain or decapitate the head" My da- no he wasn't my dad anymore decided that, that was the perfect time to slam his whole body into the door. "What-what was that addy? Are you okay? did you get bitten? that's the way the disease is passed on". Jemma snapped me out of my reverie and I realised that there were now two bodies bashing themselves into the kitchen door.

"Dammit my mom must've turned" I didn't realise that I had said that out loud, 'till Jem said "Omg Ad are you okay how about Jan is he okay?" I then remembered about my brother and I rushed into his room still hold the phone up to my ear, he looked unharmed,  he got up and waddled over to me "Addy, Addy" I picked him up and rushed to check for wounds but he was fine.

"Hey Janny, I'm just gonna pack up your stuff now, we have to leave for a bit" I had said sweetly to Jayne " where we going" he said in that little voice only toddlers have. "Jem's house". I said as I finished packing up his things " hey can you put your shoes on for me please". "Hey Jem sorry we're just packing up, can we come to your house please" she then said "My mum and dad haven't come home yet, but it isn't safe to wait here" "You and Jan can come here, but be quick there are some wandering outside. So be careful, we will have to move in the morning. "Wait, what about your dad he can look after us right we will have an adult an-" I had stopped her mindless babbling there and said "My dad is one of them, We will be there soon" and I hung up.

I had just tied up my black doc martens when the kitchen door broke down with a loud bang. "Shit" I got my bag ran back to Jan, put him on my hip and grabbed his bag. "Okey dokey, let's go out the back door then, that sounds fun, yeah it does doesn't it." While was saying that I darted out the back door and in the direction of Jemma's house.