Chapter One

"So...?" Kace prompted as he stood behind the counter of the diner.

"What?" I asked, confused, typing the apron behind my back.

"Tell me all about it!"

"I don't know what you're talking about, and even if I did, I wouldn't discuss it with you in public, Mister Kenshaw," I told him with a pointed look as I grabbed a notepad and pen.

Now anyone walking by or eavesdropping on our conversation would immediately think that we were talking about sex. I can assure that we were not. In fact, I knew exactly what my best friend was talking about, and I was not about to tell him, despite that. He wanted to know about the job last night. And I knew for a fact that Mister Simerly had cameras with audio. I was not getting caught because my best friend couldn't contain himself.

"Come on, Rowe, please?" He begged and I shook my head, flicking my eyes up in the direction of the camera to explain to him why I wouldn't do as he asked. His lips turned down in a pout and I laughed, turning my head towards the door as the bell sounded and saw two of my favourite patrons.

It was a pair of teenagers, a girl and a boy, and maybe it was my intuition or maybe it was the fact they were holding hands, but I was pretty sure they were a couple. The girl has been coming here for two years, at least. It's only been the past, say, three months or so she's been coming in with the boy and a few others I don't recognize. She used to come in with a redhead named Hannah, but the must have had a falling out or something because I haven't seen her in, well, three months.

The girl's name was Onyx. The boy's name was Peter. Onyx was a stunning girl for someone so young, with pin straight black hair, emerald eyes that used to be cold, dark and detached but now, with the help of Peter, have been introduced to emotions. With sharp cheekbones and fair skin, she reminded me almost of a porcelain doll. Peter was, well, a typical teenager. Messy brown hair, kind, emotional eyes, a lanky, awkward body and a wit that was sharp enough to cut you, I wasn't sure quite what had brought the two together. But I guess I was glad Onyx had someone like Peter.

"What can I get you kiddos?" I asked as I approached the booth they had chosen. They were sitting across from each other, so I assumed it was just them today.

"The usual, Rowe," Onyx told me, handing me her menu.

"Yeah, the usual over here, too." Peter gave Onyx a smile and handed me his menu.

"On it, I'll be right back with those milkshakes."

Once I was back behind the counter, I gave the order to the cook, Simon. I avoided looking at Kace because I knew he was looking at me and giving me that look with his eyes, begging me to tell him what happened on the job.

"I'm not telling you," I said, still not looking at him.

"Please?" he begged, "I'm your best friend, Rowe, you gotta tell me!"

"I don't 'gotta' do anything," I responded, grabbing the milkshakes and walking them back over to Onyx and Peter. Kace watched me the whole way, and when I turned back, he was staring at me with those big pleading eyes. I glared as I passed him, then started ignoring him once again.

"Come on, Rowie!"

"No-o-o! Not if you call me that." I looked over at him, and he was pouting at me with big eyes. I rolled my eyes, not falling for the puppy-dog eyes after all the time we'd been friends.

I glanced over at him again, and he was still pouting. It was honestly starting to become really annoying. When his bottom lip began to tremble I growled to myself.

"Fine!" I conceded. "Fine, fine, fine, I'll tell you. But not here."

"Ben and Jerry's, Criminal Minds and a sleepover?" he asked.