Chapter Nine

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Rowe said, holding her hands up in the universal signal for stop, "pause, rewind and stop."

Both Scott and Hank stared at the brunette. They waited for her to continue, or to do whatever it was that she had stopped them for.

"Are you telling me," she said, looking directly at Scott, "that you work for Hank Pym? Pym like Pym Technologies?"

"Um..." Scott looked at Rowe for a minute, then to Hank, "yes," he finished slowly.

For a moment, Rowe just stared at Scott, unblinking. Then, a moment later she blinked, seeming to break from her trance and turned to Hank, holding out a hand to the older man for him to shake.

"Rowe Montgomery," she introduced.

"Doctor Hank Pym," he introduced.

"Now, Scott wouldn't go into details about it because he didn't know any himself, but he did say there was a mission you wanted my assistance for. I only have a short amount of time for my break so we should get to the point."

A smile, sort-of smirk grew on Hank Pym's face as he watched the young woman. He turned to Scott, "I see why you like her, Scott."

The two young adults looked at each other in alarm and confusion. Rowe didn't quite understand the good doctor's words, but Scott understood them all too well. What could he possibly mean by these words? What was his intention by saying this aloud?

"Well, I mean, she's, you know, very smart and capable and a great fighter... What more do you look for in a partner?" Scott stuttered out.

"I suppose good teamwork skills," Rowe commented, but turned back to Hank. "So, this mission, job, thing. What is it?"

A smile spread across the doctor's face.

"Uh," Grace's voice came to Rowe's ears twenty-five minutes later and the shapeshifter turned to the blonde girl, "I'm sorry to interrupt, but Rowe, your break is almost over."

"Right," she said, shaking her head to clear it, "I'll have to catch up with you guys tomorrow and we can finish this conversation."

The dark haired woman pushed herself out of seat and stood back as the two men got out of their seats as well. She gave them both smiles and saw them to their car. Then it was just Rowe and Scott standing outside of the car.

"So what do you think?" Scott asked, "are you going to work with me?"

"We still have a lot of details to work out, Scott, I can't give you an answer to that question just yet," Rowe told him truthfully.

"Oh," he said, looking dejected.

"I'm not saying no," Rowe said quickly, "I'm just not saying yes. Yet."

Scott smiled, "I can handle that, I think."

"Just text me tomorrow where I should meet with you guys and go over the finer details."

"Deal," he said, holding out a hand for her to shake.

They shook on it and Rowe watched the two men drive away.

At five that morning, Rowe finally stumbled home. She was exhausted and had sore feet, but as she fell into her bed, she couldn't get what Doctor Pym and Scott had told her that evening.

The plan wasn't airtight yet. It was far from it. At this point, it was more of an idea of what they wanted to do, not what they were going to do. And without the security of an airtight plan, Rowe wasn't sure whether or not she could get on board.

One one hand, if she did this, she would get to know Scott better, and get to spend more time with him and help people.

But on the other hand, she could get caught. She could get herself into some really muddy waters if she went along with a plan that wasn't perfected.

She had promised Kace that she wouldn't get caught.

Rowe could not allow herself to go back on that promise.

A sigh fell from her lips as she stared up at the ceiling of her bedroom.

"What am I getting myself into?" she whispered to the empty room.