Chapter Five

Scott waited till six o'clock, which is when the girl left, taking her friend with her. Once the house was empty, Scott slipped inside and began his search. For someone who was trying to conceal her identity, it wasn't all that hard for Scott to find the USB that she had used. So, tucking it into a pocket, Scott left the apartment and headed back to his own apartment.

He plugged the USB into his own computer and opened the file. But he was in for a shock as when he opened it, there was nothing there. All the files had been completely erased.

At first, Scott thought that maybe he had the wrong girl, but he had followed her once she left Gordon's home. He had watched her go into that apartment, suit and all. He couldn't be wrong.

Could he?

This late at night, the diner never got many customers. There was the odd person that would come in and order, but generally, it was an empty house. Which was good in Rowe's opinion, because it let her relax and do whatever she wanted.

As the bell above the door sounded, Rowe turned towards it to see the customer coming in. He had brown hair, brown eyes, a bit of scruff, and a tired body. She could see that he was really tired, though it didn't show as much.

When he saw her looking at him, they shared a smile, and he made his way over to the bar. Rowe fetched a coffee mug from below the counter and the coffee pot and set the mug down in front of him as he sat down.

"Coffee?" she asked.

"Please," he answered and she poured him a cup, sliding the bowls of milk and sugar over to him when the mug was full. She brought him a menu too.

The man read over the menu and sipped his coffee while Rowe cleaned up a table off some dirty dishes, topped up the people's coffee. When she was done with that, she went back over to the brown-haired man.

"What can I getcha?" she asked him.

"Uh, I'll have some eggs and bacon," he told her.

"How do you like your eggs?"

"Scrambled."

"Toast?"

"Yes, please. White."

Rowe jotted this down in her notebook and took the order to the cook, and fetched the bill for a couple sitting in a corner booth. By the time she got back from collecting the money, the other order was done and she slid it in front of its owner.

"Anything else I can getcha?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah, actually," he said, which surprised her. He dug something out of his pocket and put it on the table. "Can you tell me about this?"

Looking down at the item, something like panic grew in Rowe, but she kept her face neutral. "It's a USB stick," she answered. Her USB stick. "I'm afraid I don't understand."

"You know," he said, chewing some egg, "when I looked on it, I was expecting to find something that told me that you were the girl scared the crap outta me by changing into a tiger."

"A girl who became a tiger?" Rowe lied, raising a skeptical brow, "that's fantasy."

"No, I don't think it is," he said, "I mean, I saw it with my own eyes. They're pretty reliable, you know."

"If you say so."

"But it's empty," he said, talking about the USB stick again, "there's nothing on it."