Chapter Six

"If you're the one for me, I'll be your hero." Hero ~ Christopher Wilde (Sterling Knight)

Helpful hint; tell the truth, and only the truth!

~~~ 2 years ago ~~~

It wasn't enough. Standing up to Chloe wasn't enough to stop the hurt that managed to flood through Marinette's veins. She couldn't take it anymore. The teasing and taunting, the threatening, and the few times the blonde haired girl had slapped her or shoved her over. And today, she threatened her family. She threatened to buy out her mother and father's bakery and force them out on the streets if Marinette didn't stop talking to Adrien.

"All of this over a boy..." Her thick cat pillow was now wet with tears from all the sobbing she did. Her face felt hot and her eyes stung, after crying for all the years that she's known Chloe. Her throat was swollen and sore from the screams and shouts that were muffled and trapped inside her pillow.

"Marinette..." The puffy eyed girl turned her attention to a very worried Tikki for the first time since she got hom. "I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, but I need you to be strong. You're vulnerable to an akuma in this position.

"You're right Tikki. I'm weak." She spat the word out as if it were poison to her tongue.

"You're not weak Marinette! You are the strongest person I've ever met! But what do we do if Ladybug herself is succumbed to an akuma?"

"Just leave me to terrorize the city," When Marinette caught a glimpse of a hurt Tikki, she sighed. "Right, not funny. I'm sorry Tikki. I didn't mean it. I know how bad it would be if that happened."

"Not only that, but Chat Noir would be so disappointed in you as your partner." Marinette nodded as she buried her face into the soft fabric of her cat shaped pillow. The thought of him of all people being disappointed in her set this uncomfortable flame to ignite in the pit of her stomach. "I think you have company."

She lifted her head up as she saw Tikki dart around in the room to her usual hiding spot. "What do you-"

Knock knock.

"-mean?" She glanced above her, a grinning Chat peering down below at her, waving excitedly. His smile slipped quickly though when he noticed tear stains on her cheeks and pillow, and her puffy red eyes.

"Princess? Princess, let me in." As he demanded access to her room, she slowly got up to grant him it. The superhero backed away from the door as she opened it before snuggling herself into a cocoon of blankets. He frowned as he dropped on her bed. Marinette watched him land on all fours, mocking a cat. His piercing emerald eyes looked over her face, the creases in his temple deepening. "Marinette, what's wrong?"

She didn't answer and instead opted for turning away from his anxious stare, facing her plain pink wall. His dejected sigh seemed close to her ear before she felt a dip in the bed next to her.

She rolled over to be faced with a leather cladded chest that had a clawed hand laying loosely against it. She quietly grabbed the cuff that was wrapped around his wrist, moving it back and forth.

"I know, trust me, I completely understand if you don't want to tell this alley cat what happened. But at least tell me one thing," When she didn't shake her head no, he continued. "Who is the cause of your tears, Princess?" It came out as more of a demand rather than a question, though his tone was soft and comforting.

"... Me." The silence wrapped around the two teens. What Marinette had thought was going to be an awkward or uncomfortable silence, actually turned out to be securing and comforting. Eventually, his arms encircled her and her blanket, dragging her across the mattress onto his chest in one fluid motion.