Chapter Seven

"Lead me with strong hands, stand up, when I can't, don't leave me; hungry for love chasing dreams." Lead Me ~ Sanctus Real

Helpful hint; don't fall!

Adrien, now Chat, thanks to the 'courtesy' of the Puzzlemaker, had his hands folded tightly together, digging his claws as deep as he could, indenting the skin on the back of his knuckles as his elbows rested on his knees. It's been thirty minutes since he made her worst fear a reality, thirty minutes of guilt eating him alive, and thirty minutes of constant worry about her.

He didn't like this- this feeling of being alone. He had enough of it in the previous years of his teenage life. He wasn't suppose to feel like this anymore after meeting Marinette. Her caring nature was suppose to cancel out his loneliness, not entice it.

Maybe you're too dependent on her, Adrien. Plagg had told you before that you were too dependent on Ladybug as well.

He believed it- he truly did- yet he couldn't stop. He needed love, he craved for it and he needed someone that could give it to him. Maybe he was too possessive of the bluenette, too protective. And these were all the reason which led to him thinking she was weak.

She was by no means weak, and yet that was what he thought of her. He compared her to a rare gem that everyone needed to love and protect, like a dainty porcelain doll, too beautiful for this hateful and cruel world.

How could I say that to her? That look, that broken look she held in her usually bright eyes. Why would I say that when I knew that it was her worst fear?

Because if you didn't she would have died. Would you rather she die as your friend, or have her live a healthy and long life hating you?

He would choose the latter. He would always choose the latter. Just the thought of her as a cold and lifeless corpse sent shivers down his spine and left behind an unsettling feeling in his stomach.

Where is she? I need to go find her and go help her-

"Chat Noir!"

The sound of his name from her rosy pink lips made his head shoot up, seeing the girl he was just thinking about come bounding towards him, tears flying out of the corners of her eyes which were a light pink.

He had gotten up but wasn't prepared when she slammed into him, full force, and wrapped her thin arms around his neck.

His back hit the wall behind him hard as he took the brunt of the collision, but he didn't care as he held her close to him. He felt her hot tears splash onto the bare skin of his neck, catching on to the leather collar of his black suit. Her nails dug into his shoulder blades as she tightened her hold on him, which was sure to leave some crescent shaped marks later on.

"Don't cry Marinette. You don't need to cry." But he could understand why. One of the people she felt was a close friend of hers betrayed her, and probably lost all of the trust she had held in him.

"You don't get it, Chat." She hiccuped into his collar as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks and onto him. "He said that... One of my friends said... My crush said he thought I was weak! Weak, Chat! And he's right, he's so right!"

Crush... I was that too... Not only did I break her spirit, I broke her heart as well... I should have never been her crush- neither Chat nor Adrien deserved her love, no matter how much we both wanted- scratch that -needed it.

He held her tightly, looking like he was trying to absorb her and make them one with how close he held her to himself. Chat could only hope that this hug would somehow convey all of his guilt and how sorry he was as he buried his face into her neck. His green eyes stung with unshed tears. He wanted to take all of her pain away. If he could, he would, 100 fold- no a thousand fold! Then the lights went out.