Chapter Ten

"Even angels have their wicked schemes, but you take them to new extremes. But you'll always be my hero, even though you've lost your mind," Love The Way You Lie (Part II) ~ Rihanna

Helpful hint; stay strong

Her tiny hand was laced tightly with Lucifer's, using all the strength that her thin arm could muster as she swung their interlocked hands back and forth. The young blonde was humming off-tune to the theme song of one of her favorite shows, head swaying to and fro. Today, Lucifer and Mary were going to the store to buy some groceries and he knew that she was excited for it. Usually, if he had enough money to afford it, Lucifer would buy her a small treat. It was usually along the lines of chocolate, but her favorite was the small caramels that he would get her from the small candy shop near the market.

He wished he could get her them more often then he does, but the candies were expensive. And he could barely afford to buy her the cheap store chocolate as it was. That is, if he wanted to stay on schedule. Only a few months longer, and they could finally escape their drunkard and druggie of an uncle. Only a few months longer and Mary would get the education she deserves. So until then, he could only buy necessities with the slight chance of buying candy.

"Lucy," Mary called out her nickname for her older brother. "Why does Uncle Claude hate me?" She looked up at the black-haired teen, her deep blue eyes filled with curiosity that swirled with confusion. His heart twisted and a hard lump formed in his throat, making it hard for him to swallow.

Lucifer knelt to the ground, hands on her small shoulders as he looked her in the eye. "He doesn't hate you, Mary. Uncle Claude is just confused, and he's not making the right decisions with his life, and not with ours either. He might act weird," Because of the drugs and alcohol, "but he doesn't hate you."

Mary wore a wide grin, showing off her missing front tooth that she had recently lost. She nodded her head in response as Lucifer stood up. She took his hand once more and they continued their walk to the grocery store. "I love you, Lucy!"

Lucifer chuckled softly before telling her that he loved her too. They walked past the small candy shop that held Mary's favorites and approached the store.

"Now, do you remember what we came here for?" Lucifer asked as Mary's hand slipped out of his. With his hand now free, he lifted her up and placed her in a nearby shopping cart. "Yep!" Mary said, enthusiastically bobbing her head up and down, the golden curls that framed her face bounced as she did so. "We came here for chocolate!"

Lucifer laughed while shaking his head no, pushing the cart she was in down the first aisle. "Maybe later, but what do we need at home?" The young girl pursed her lips in concentration as she thought back to what her older brother had told her before they left the house.

"Mmm, pancakes?" She guessed, looking up at him with wide, navy blue eyes. "No, cereal!" As he walked further down the lane, Mary spotted some packages of instant ramen and near them were the boxes of macaroni and cheese. "Oo! Lucy, Lucy I want those!" She's excitedly jumping in the cart and pointing at the noodles. Nearby, an older lady watched in amusement at the scene, her smile soft.

"Okay, okay..." Lucifer agreed, piling a bunch of packages of the cheap ramen along with a few of the mac and cheese boxes. "So what else do we want from here?"

The duo spend the next half an hour looking around the store for food that was on sale. Fifteen minutes later, Lucifer was carrying several plastic bags filled with their meals for the next couple of weeks. He kept a tight grip on Mary's hand as they walked through the dark night. Mary stayed close to his side, and Lucifer didn't know whether or not she was doing it on purpose but it made him feel better knowing she was so close to his side.